- Jeff Bradbury – TeacherCast.net – @TeacherCast
- Jeff Herb – InstructionalTechTalk.com – @InstTechTalk
- Sam Patterson – MyPaperlessClassroom.com – @SamPatue
- Chris Nesi – Education the Nesi Way – @MrNesi
- David Saunders @DesignSaunders –designsaunders.com
- Josh Gauthier @mrgfactoftheday –Mr Gauthier’s Tech Chat
About our Guest
Alefiya believes that involved communities result in higher academic and social outcomes, stronger values, and increased future success for students. Her degree in psychology and education from Emory University, along with her training and experience as a Montessori teacher, power her passion for wide-scale education improvement. It is this passion that led her to start her company Crescerance (cris-seer-unce) in 2011.
In Crescerance’s short lifespan of just over 3 years, Alefiya has enabled over 150 educational institutions in America and throughout the world to better communicate with and engage their communities through the growing power of mobile. Alefiya is passionate about making mobile an easily available and powerful channel to thousands of schools worldwide. She is now focussing on brining the concepts and tools of app development to students as young as the 3rd grade by enabling them to build mobile apps with the newly launched MAD-learn program. In her spare time, she enjoys touring the world, meeting new people, learning new languages, and experiencing new cultures. She is also a closet adrenaline junkie who loves the occasional sky or sea dive expedition.
Crescerance began its journey in 2011 with the simple idea of wanting to make it easier for schools to connect and truly engage with their parents, staff, students, alumni, and community at large. Through working with schools in creating their school apps (so that everyone could be connected through Mobile and have quick, easy access to the information they needed), we met students that had a keen interest in not just using the app that we created for their school, but in wanting to learn about the creation process of that app.
“How did you make our app?” was a question that we got asked through numerous in person or Skype calls from teachers wanting to bring an App Developer perspective to their students. This is where MAD-learn was born. It was born from the curiosity of our students. From their quest to know more and absorb more. From our passion to feed that curiosity.
MAD stands for Mobile App Development and MAD-learn is a program that is teaching students how to be Creators of Technology, instead of just Consumers of it. To learn more about MAD-learn, watch this video: MAD-learn.com
Hour of code
Interested in getting your kids coding? Http://Code.org/learn has resources to get any teacher, even one with no available tech, rolling for the hour of code.
You can even use the Hour of Code as an opprotunity to build community at your school by hosting and Hour of Code family coding event. Here is a great place to get started. http://www.edutopia.org/blog/family-coding-day-hour-of-code-sam-patterson
Thank You For Your Podcast Reviews
Are you enjoying the TechEducator Podcast or other shows on the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today. I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Ask Me Your Podcasting or WordPress Question
Are you interested in starting your own podcast? Do you need help creating an awesome WordPress website? I am available for 1:1 consulting. Please visit my homepage and I will help you launch your personal brand today!
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- TeacherCast App Spotlight (http://www.teachercast.net/appspotlight)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Watch LIVE: http://www.TeacherCast.tv | Broadcasting Schedule (http://www.teachercast.net/showcal)
- TeacherCast Broadcasting Community: http://www.TeacherCast.net/broadcastingcommunity