In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we welcome Dr. Sam Patterson of My Paperless Classroom and Todd Beard from Microsoft YouthSpark to discuss why Computer Science classes are vitally important for today's students.
As technology has become an integral part of people’s daily lives around the world, we’re seeing a growing demand – from students, parents, teachers, governments, and nonprofits – to teach youth not only how to use technology, but also how to create technology to help them become the innovators and drivers of growth and opportunity in their communities. But what does this look like in the classroom? How do educators balance this new charge with other important content requirements?
What is Microsoft YouthSpark?
Microsoft YouthSpark is a global initiative to increase access for all youth to learn computer science, empowering them to achieve more for themselves, their families and their communities.
About our Guests
Todd Beard has been an educator since 2001 working with students in kindergarten through adulthood. Graduating from the University of Michigan with a focus in education, math, and language arts, he is an educator passionate about technology in learning. While teaching K-12th-grade technology at the International Academy of Flint, Todd also led education policy initiatives, coached multiple robotics teams, and organized STEM camps. He is excited about collaborating with other professionals that are helping to prepare our students and teachers for the future.
Sam Patterson EdD is Head Maker Wrangler at Echo Horizon School in Culver City, CA. Dr. Patterson designs innovative tech-rich learning experiences and is author of the book “Programming in the Primary Grades: Beyond the Hour of Code.” His blog MyPaperlessClassroom is one of EdTech reviews “50 must Read Tech Blogs.”
Links of Interest
Check out these great resources to learn more about computer science for your classroom.
Thank You For Your Podcast Reviews
Are you enjoying Educational Podcasting Today or other shows on the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Ask Me Your Podcasting or WordPress Question
Are you interested in starting your own podcast? Do you need help creating an awesome WordPress website? I am available for 1:1 consulting. Please visit my homepage and I will help you launch your personal brand today!
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- TeacherCast App Spotlight (http://www.teachercast.net/appspotlight)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Watch LIVE: http://www.TeacherCast.tv | Broadcasting Schedule (http://www.teachercast.net/showcal)
- TeacherCast Broadcasting Community: http://www.TeacherCast.net/broadcastingcommunity
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!