In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we ask the question “Can You Take Your Math Class Paperless?”
In this episode, you will learn:
- How to create both simple and complex equations through voice, ink, and thought.
- How to create detailed lessons in EquatIO that can be copied into Docs, Slides, Sites, and Office applications
- How to engage your students by having your students create drawings and animations using Desmos’s powerful graphic engine.
Why is this news Awesome?
- Texthelp has integrated Desmos’s graphing calculator into EquatIO
- Desmos’s best-in-class HTML5 graphing calculator is used by millions of students around the world to help them experience all the curiosity, beauty, and sense that math has to offer
- Desmos imagines a world of universal math literacy where math is accessible and enjoyable for all students
- EquatIO, Texthelp’s award-winning STEM tool, makes it easy for students and teachers to create equations, formulas and other mathematical expressions digitally
- Much more than a replacement for pen and paper, EquatIO makes math and STEM subjects more accessible in today’s classrooms, meeting the unique needs of all learners
- With the addition of Desmos’s API, EquatIO users can now add graphing to its growing list of capabilities
- The integration with Desmos enables EquatIO to become a one-stop-shop for making math and other STEM subjects digital
3 Ways to Use:
- From a Teacher standpoint (i.e. building a graph with a corresponding question to be shared through EquatIO mathspace)
- From a Student standpoint (i.e. using prediction to build out graphs based on a teacher question received through EquatIO mathspace)
- Using desmos graphs to visualize a concept that then students can explore on their own in their EquatIO mathspace
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Beautiful, powerful, math! Desmos imagines a world of universal math literacy where math is accessible and enjoyable for all students. The Desmos Graphing Calculator instantly plots any equation – from lines and parabolas through regressions and derivatives. This is the next generation of interactive math.
We built the best-in-class HTML5 Desmos graphing calculator, which millions of students around the world use for free. That calculator catches stellar reviews in app stores and from happy users on Twitter. We sustain our growth through our partnerships with publishers and assessment companies.
Desmos believes the best days of math education and the best days of Desmos are ahead of us.
TexthelpⓇ believes that everyone shares a fundamental need to be understood by others, and language is our passport to academic, social and professional success. This is what drives Texthelp to create smart, easy-to-use support technologies that enable young people and adults to read, write and communicate with confidence and independence.
Texthelp works with leading technology companies including Google and Microsoft, and works closely together with many of the world’s major educational publishers to provide literacy and STEM support solutions to classrooms worldwide.
Texthelp’s world leading learning software is used daily by students and educators in schools, colleges and universities worldwide. Our corporate software tools continue to be used by blue-chip companies, as well as large and small scale public departments and government organizations globally.
Texthelp has been recognized in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 for 14 consecutive years, and has recently been awarded both the global Google Partner of the Year (devices), and the Digital Agenda awards for Impact within Education.
About our Guests
Eli began his programming life on his TI-83 graphing calculator in elementary school, culminating with a working version of Monopoly which was destroyed when he removed the backup battery by accident. He began working on the software that would become Desmos.com during a year-long hiatus from Yale University in 2007, returning to graduate summa cum laude with degrees in Math and Physics in 2009. Eli was also selected by Bloomberg Businessweek as one of the top 25 entrepreneurs under 25 in 2011. Eli can be found on Twitter @eluberoff.
John McGowan, Product Manager at Texthelp, is the visionary behind EquatIO, Texthelp's STEM solution that makes math digital. Prior to joining Texthelp, John taught secondary math for over 15 years and loved to adapt the fail-forward mentality and push the bounds of technology integration in the math classroom. This led to the development of g(Math), a Google Add-on for Docs, Sheets, and Forms, which was the first iteration of what is now EquatIO. John can be found on Twitter @jmacattak.
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This weeks question is:
Question: In what ways are you able to integrate Technology with your Math Lessons?
Please share your tips and tricks below in our Comments Section.
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Desmos Website Desmos Blog
- Desmos Twitter
- Desmos YouTube
- Texthelp Website
- EquatIO Webpage
- Texthelp Education Blog
- Texthelp Twitter
- Texthelp YouTube
Tech Tip of the Week
Twitter is one of the most valuable tools that a teacher can have in their back pocket. There are great companies such as Desmos and Text Help just waiting to assist you and your students each and every day. If you are stuck and don't know how to best help out those in your classroom, take a moment and check out the many great resources on Twitter today!
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- TeacherCast App Spotlight (http://www.teachercast.net/appspotlight)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00 PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv