Brian Mendler: How to Build Responsibility, Relationships, and Respect in Your Classroom
In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we welcome ASCD author Brian Mendler to discuss his new book. Discipline with Dignity, 4th Edition: How to Build Responsibility, Relationships, and Respect in Your Classroom.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Brian dealt with struggles growing up, including a gambling addiction; he is now 15 years in recovery (you can talk about his path to teaching as an intro and how his path influenced his teaching style)
- General conversation about what causes kids to misbehaveOut of school and in school causes
- What does and doesn’t work to get them back on trackThreats, punishments, and rewards: Why Most Traditional Discipline Methods Don't Work (this is a chapter in the book)
- How to redirect student behavior
- Interrupting misbehavior with good teaching
- Student motivation
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
About our Guest
Brian Mendler is a certified K–12 and special education teacher with extensive experience working with challenging students in general ed, self-contained, and inclusion settings.
As an adjunct professor at St. John Fisher College in New York, he teaches Behavior Management and Introduction to Special Education.
In addition, he provides staff development training for K–12 educators and youth service workers throughout North America with the focus on how to be successful with even the most difficult students.
Follow Brian on Twitter @BrianMendler
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Discipline with Dignity, 4th Edition: How to Build Responsibility, Relationships, and Respect in Your Classroom
- Read the Introduction
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Please Support our Sponsor
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at [8:00] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv
Need a Presenter?
Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!