How Should a Digital Learning Coach Introduce Themselves To Their Building Staff
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Nick discuss why it’s important to start the school year off on the right foot. So many times, tech coaches want to jump in and impress their teachers with how much they know and how big their website is. In reality, this is the opposite.
In order to have a successful start to the school year, it is important that you ask questions of your staff and get them to learn about your program and your intentions for working with them as a coach. It’s also important that you make yourself available to their needs as teachers.
Do you have suggestions or tips for starting the school year off on the best foot? We would love to have you leave a comment or contact us to be a part of our Tech Coaching community.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Should we be collecting data on our teachers?
- Who sees that data?
- How to collect accurate data but not use it to harm our staff/administration relationships
- How to Introduce Yourself on the First Day of School
- Blog Post: How to Introduce Yourself and Have a Great First Week of School as a Tech Coach
- The importance of “not over doing it” on the first day
- You don’t have to impress them … just impress ON them what your goals are for helping them AND their students
- Listen, Listen, Listen
- What was exciting about last year?
- What was frustrating?
- What are your plans for this year and how can I help you achieve those goals?
- Showcase … don’t Show Off your resources
- Leave with with something they can use tomorrow in their classes.
- How to keep a record of your daily teacher interactions
- Best method to keep your records?
- What do you do with that data?
- Do you talk to your teachers about the data?
- Do you talk to your administrators about the data?
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
- Website: www.AskTheTechCoach.com
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Nicholas Amaral | @NamaralEDU
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This weeks question is:
What are you doing this year to introduce yourself to your staff and students?
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Minecraft Education Edition coming for the iPad
- Kahoot Certified Educator Program Launching – (check out our podcast)
- Schoology Updates – Reorder Courses, Reorder Groups, View Badges on IOS devices
Tech Coach Tip of the Week
- Learning comes first. Give your teachers an opportunity to just play with the tool before diving in head first. Then, assess where they are and what they want to know. This personalizes it to their specific needs and they will welcome the change of pace.
Contact the Podcast!
- Twitter: @AskTheTechCoach
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!