In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Susan welcome our guests Adam Juarez, Katherine Goyette, Dr. Dan Kreiness, and Rebecca Reynolds who all work as tech coaches, writers, etc. We discuss how your role as a tech coach can evolve as the school year comes to a close. What can you do to keep yourself relevant and meaningful to teachers as you end the year?
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Join the TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a brand new Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
How Can Tech Coaches Stay Relevant As The School Year Ends?
- Stay consistent with your teachers.
- Continue popping your head into classrooms
- Keep creating Newsletters
- Ease pain points – curate resources for summer planning
- Do more listening than coaching as the year comes to a close
- Be open to listening to new ideas and teachers’ reflections on how things worked (or didn’t work for them)
- Play the long game … it’s not about this year … it’s about next year
- Keep feeding them relevant tips that they need at the moment – cleaning/archiving files, learning management system, etc. Have it ready for when they ask.
- Sticky notes
- Videos re-introducing yourself and what you can do to help them
- Encourage the teachers to take some risks that they normally wouldn’t take in the regular timeframe of the year and day to day instruction
- Keep yourself fresh / refreshed on edtech topics that are relevant to your teachers and school/district. You can’t stay relevant to your teachers if you, yourself, are not up to date!
- TCOY –Take Care Of Yourself – Digital Learning Playbook
- Focus on efficiency – tech to make end of the year paperwork more simplified
- Help create memorable end of year activities (portfolios, video montages, etc.)
- Provide summer learning opportunities, offer asynchronous opportunities too!
- CELEBRATE teachers and leaders wildly – social media, school based emails, YES cards, giveaways, Google Meets where they can just have a space to speak
- Continue to co-teach with teachers, offer your time and support for new ideas they wish to try! (VR, Minecraft EDU, etc)
- Keep building your team, community, and supports for teachers/leaders
About our Guests
Adam Juarez is a Technology Integration Coach for Cutler-Orosi Joint Unified School District. He supports teachers through individualized coaching, demo lessons and professional development. Adam is a Google Certified Trainer and Innovator, CVCUE Board Member, Leroy Finkel Fellowship Finalist, co-founder of #CVTechTalk, 2020 30 K-12 IT Influencers Worth a Follow (EdTech Magazine) and co-author of The Complete EdTech Coach: A Organic Approach to Supporting Digital Learning.
Social Links of Interest
- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok: @techcoachjuarez
Katherine Goyette is an Educational Consultant for Technology & Integrated Studies for Tulare County Office of Education. She designs and implements professional learning sessions & speaking engagements, conducts in-class coaching, and is the co-author of The Complete EdTech Coach: An Organic Approach to Supporting Digital Learning. Katherine was the primary writer for California’s inaugural Computer Science Standards and is President of CSTA – California Central Valley. Her certifications include: Google Certified Trainer & Innovator, Youth Mental Health First Aid, Newsela Certified Educator, Apple Teacher, Microsoft Innovative Educator, & PBS Learning Media Digital Innovator. Formerly, Katherine was an administrator, coach, and classroom teacher.
Social Links of Interest
- Twitter: @kat_goyette
- Instagram: @katgoyette
Rebecca Reynolds is a Digital Innovation Leader in Jefferson County Public Schools, Kentucky. She is an experienced K-5 Teacher Digital Leader Specialist, skilled in coaching, leading learning/support events for teachers, and community outreach through social media. My core 3 areas of innovation include co-teaching with blended learning strategies, branding and bringing a band of school innovation teams together, and leading with SpheroEDU, Lego Education, and Minecraft Edu.
Social Links of Interest
- Digital Learning Channel
Dr. Dan Kreiness
Dr. Dan Kreiness is an instructional leader, podcast host, author, and speaker who constantly searches for the most effective ways to advance education and produce high student achievement. He is currently an Instructional Coach for Digital Learning in the Norwalk Public School District in Norwalk, Connecticut. Dr. Kreiness has worked in education for over 15 years as a school administrator, instructional coach, intervention specialist, and classroom teacher while working in districts in New York City metro areas in New York and Connecticut. Dr. Kreiness holds a doctorate degree in leadership and master’s degrees in adolescent education and educational leadership. His original research and dissertation is called “Transformational Leadership to Inspire Growth Mindset in Classroom Teachers.”
Dr. Kreiness hosts the popular Leader of Learning podcast which can be found on all podcast apps and music streaming services and was recently named to Feedspot’s list of the Top 25 Educational Podcasts You Must Follow in 2021. He has also been a guest on several other podcasts. Dr. Kreiness is also a published author, having contributed chapters to the Edumatch Snapshot in Education (2017) Volume 2: Professional Practice and The EduMatch Teacher’s Recipe Guide: Survive and Thrive in the Kitchen and Beyond. He is currently under contract with Edumatch Publishing to publish a solo book in late 2021 or 2022.
Dr. Kreiness is emerging as an expert presenter at education conferences and trainings on topics including leadership, growth mindset, student engagement, various instructional technologies, and content creation and branding. Dr. Kreiness was named to the 2017 class of ASCD Emerging Leaders. He is also a Google Certified Educator, Microsoft Certified Educator, Nearpod PioNear, Flipgrid Ambassador, and Wakelet Ambassador. His specific educational interests include leadership, educational technology, and student engagement.
Social Links of Interest
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/dr_kreiness
- Instagram – https://instagram.com/leaderoflearning
- Facebook – https://facebook.com/leaderoflearning
- LinkedIn – https://linkedin.com/in/dankreiness
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)