In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” we welcome Kerry Gallagher, Sean Hackbarth, and Michael Krauszer on the program to discuss the many things that happen in the first month of being a Tech Coach. For so many of us, the first month is filled with excitement but also misery when things don't go so well. What is important is that we all learn how to get our first few staff encounters to be positive ones so that we have a fantastic program that is built on relationships and not just on tech.
Next week on the show, we will be doing a Tech Coach Q/A and would love to have your questions be apart of the group. If you have any questions you would like to ask about Tech Coaching, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Tech Coach … or Classroom Coach that features Tech?
- Tech Coach vs Digital Learning Specialist
- Role of an educator coach vs. Role of a technician
- What should the first month of Tech Coaching look like?
- The Tech Coach Introduction to Staff Members
- Role of admin in building the role and expectations
- Don’t overload staff members with lengthy presentations on first meeting
- The Tech Coach Website
- Communicating with Staff Members both in large and small groups
- Working with the Go-Getters
- Breaking through to those not interested
- Creating PD for teachers of all shapes and sizes … that works
- Breaking an hour down into 20 min chunks that address each of the grade levels
- Think about Instructional Design
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
About our Guests
Kerry Gallagher is the Assistant Principal for Teaching and Learning at St. John’s Prep in Danvers, Massachusetts. She’s also the Director of K-12 Education for ConnectSafely.org – internet safety non-profit in Palo Alto, California – a FutureReady Instructional Coach, ASCD Emerging Leader, PBS Digital Innovator, and EdSurge Columnist. She served as a middle & high school teacher and digital learning specialist for over 15 years, and her passions include digital citizenship and effective integration of curriculum, pedagogy, and edtech. Kerry is a TEDx & keynote speaker and a lawyer by training. | @KerryHawk02 | www.KerryHawk02.com
Recent publications that tech coaches and teachers might find helpful:
- The Educator's Guide to Creativity & Copyright
- The Parent & Educator Guide to Media Literacy & Fake News
More educator guides I've co-authored can be found here.
Check out my recent Ignites on screen time, digital citizenship, and having a healthy relationship with technology:
Michael Krauszer is a 4th-year educator at Calvary Christian School in Old Bridge, NJ. He teaches AP Literature and a host of other ELA courses, along with serving as Chair of the department. In addition to those responsibilities, Krauszer is the National Honors Society adviser, varsity baseball coach, and acts as the tech coach for the school. | @Mdkrauszer
Sean is a Social Studies teacher and grade-level Team Leader who has taught both the high school and middle school levels over the course of his fifteen year teaching career. As a Certified Google Educator, he helped implement a paperless classroom initiative and has been a steward for the infusion of technology to current instructional practices. Sean's goal is to provide a variety of instructional strategies and learning opportunities for his students, and to encourage and support his colleagues to stretch their comfort levels with technology to extend their connection with each student. Sean previously has served as a Boys Head Varsity Soccer Coach, Teacher Mentor, and Executive Officer of his local Education Association. In addition to his Master's degree in Educational Psychology, Sean also is certificated as a Supervisor and a Principal in the state of New Jersey. | @mr_hckbrth
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)