What does an ISTE Standards Based Coaching System Look Like?
Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Susan welcome Ashley McBride, author of EdTech Coaching Primer as we talk about the state of and role of coaching in today’s schools.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Join the TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a brand new Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- The current state of coaching
- Roles from 2019 ISTE Standards for Coaches
- Change Agent
- Connected Learner
- Learning Designer
- Professional Learning Facilitator
- Data-Driven Decision Maker
- Digital Citizen Advocate
- Finding the right fit for the coach, school, district, admin to work effectively together
- Coaching is often misunderstood and not utilize in the most efficient manner
- Roles from 2019 ISTE Standards for Coaches
- Establish Vision
- Technology Plans at the state, district, local level
- Instructional Technology Goals
- How do you respond and tackle that vision and accomplish the goals?
- Measure where you are by gathering data, focus on what the school’s wanted to work on to develop a plan.
- Digital Learning Progress Rubric
- MTAC – Media Technology Advisory Committee to pull together data
- Work on getting superintendent and principal support for the development of these plans .
- Approaches to Coaching
- Building Relationships
- Finding “empty” spaces to strike up conversations
- Coaching Cycles
- Creating Impactful Professional Learning
- Observations and coaching cycles allow you to see trends in the school
- Focus on strategies, ideas, pedagogy first then share possible tools
- Supporting Teachers
- Using Data as a Coach
- Process of Writing the Book
- Need for structure and guide of what a coach should be doing.
- Advocacy for coaches in each school and making sure that teachers have support
- Be there for your teachers, engage them, and don’t let them lose what they have learned in the area of EdTech to make them successful this school year!
About our Guest: Ashley McBride
Dr. Ashley McBride is currently the Digital Learning Initiative Consultant for the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Prior to taking on this role, she spent her career working with students and other educators as a secondary English teacher, instructional technology facilitator, and director of technology. In her work, she has designed and implemented professional learning that supports educators and their understanding of digital teaching and learning practices. Additionally, she has led district-wide initiatives that help promote the effective integration of technology for students. McBride is a COSN Certified Educational Technology Leader and in 2020 earned her doctorate in educational technology from Central Michigan University. She also serves as a board member for the North Carolina Technology in Education Society (NCTIES) and is an adjunct professor in Central Michigan University’s Masters in Learning, Design, and Technology program. You can connect with her on Twitter through her handle @aplusedtech.
Links of Interest (Ashley Social Links)
- Website: https://edtechcoachingprimer.com/
- Book Links: https://amzn.to/38AvGWq
- Twitter @aplusedtech
- Podcast: The A+ Edtech Coaching Podcast
About the Book
The edtech coaching role is often misunderstood. This leads to edtech coaches being underutilized or being pulled into various tasks that are not aligned with the ISTE Standards for Coaches. The Edtech Coaching Primer provides a clear way of implementing this role in K-12 education and offers resources for not only those who are edtech coaches, but also for those who support the role at the school or district level.
The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) is home to a passionate community of global educators who believe in the power of technology to transform teaching and learning, accelerate innovation and solve tough problems in education. ISTE inspires the creation of solutions and connections that improve opportunities for all learners by delivering: practical guidance, evidence-based professional learning, virtual networks, thought-provoking events and the ISTE Standards. ISTE is also the leading publisher of books focused on technology in education. For more information or to become an ISTE member, visit iste.org. Subscribe to ISTE’s YouTube channel and connect with ISTE on Twitter or Facebook.
ISTE books and jump-start guides address both established and emerging industry topics, and are aligned with the ISTE Standards, providing clear, practical guidance to help educators meet the standards. Whether you’re a classroom teacher, librarian, district leader or teacher educator, ISTE books are your answer to effective districtwide PD and professional learning to meet your goals or tech initiatives.
Become an ISTE Books insider!
Subscribe to the ISTE Books Update newsletter for exclusive savings and updates on books, author events and more.
Contact the Podcast!
- Twitter: @AskTheTechCoach
- Email: email@example.com
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Susan Vincentz | @sv314dws
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!