The Foos Studio brings programming into the game design. With The Foos, students can not only learn about game design, but how to create dynamic content playable by the world.
Last year during CSEDWEEK The Foos was introduced to the world. The cute characters helped students understand programming fundamentals, and it was so fun they asked for more.
Grant Hosford, CEO of Codespark and Foos creator, has upgraded the play and learning in the Foos by adding the Foos Studio. In the Studio students design their own stories to help the Foos make a movie. In addition to playing the puzzle-solving levels, students can play and design a video game. In the Studio, our favorite characters are controlled by joystick-style buttons. Students can build their own levels and share them, and they love it.
The first time I put my afterschool K-4 coding club in The Foos studio something strange happened, the kids all entered flow state. For over 20 minutes, no one had to use the restroom or asked to do anything else. When they did start talking again the first words were “I built a great level, who wants to build my level!”
Engaged and empowered? yes, please. The Foos Studio brings programming into the game design. There are NPC's that the student can code to help or hinder the hero. Many of the props and set pieces in the game are also programmable. What is jumpier than a trampoline? obviously, one that has been programmed to jump with a forever loop.
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
Where Can I Find “The Foos?”
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)