Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff welcomes Instructional Coach, Michelle Manning on the podcast to discuss the importance of supporting teachers through innovative practices in the classroom.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Join the TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
Question of the Week
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This week’s question is:
How can a Coach invite innovative practices into the classroom … when they are spread thin in multiple buildings?
- Thoughts on a new school year
- How to be a successful Instructional Coach after a few years under your belt
- Setting Instructional Coaching goals for the upcoming school year
- Meeting with teachers
- More connections with Administrators and building Leadership teams
- Strategies for reinventing the coaching position at the beginning of a new school year
- Visit faculty meetings
- Tech Coaching Menu
- Surveys for checking in with teachers
- Do “edubribes” work in gaining trust and building relationships with teachers
- How to easily suggest that a teacher try something new
- Set the stage with simple conversations
- Offer to coteach a class or teach the subject yourself to model the topic
- Offer to help build or support their lesson planning
- Strategies for supporting teachers across multiple buildings through your calendar, video, and Google Forms
- Supporting additional coaches in a single school building … working together as a team
- Practice makes perfect? – No – Practice makes permanent
- immediate feedback
- blended learning
- flipped classroom
- extra practice
- test review
- practice again
- streamline/chunk to avoid visually overwhelming long worksheets
- modify / differentiate
- They can ‘play / practice’ again and again; once worksheet is done – it's done
How to gamify?
- Google Slides “escape rooms”, riddle rooms, Jenga, board games (game of life)
- Once you have the template it’s easy to modify for different themes
How to modify games?
- change the number of choices
- change the number of questions
- add ‘hints’ on the TRY AGAIN page
- add images
- add audio
- add video
- fast finisher enrichment
- extra practice
Flipped / Putting the Students in Control of the lesson
- science lesson
- Instead of watching video as whole class, video is chunked into smaller pieces for better retention
- Students watch at own pace, minimal distractions, can rewind, etc
- Students can take notes at their own pace using varied method (typing, writing, voice, drag & drop; have a copy of notes if needed, didn’t complete, etc
- Use a tool like Kami where you can push out the answers after so students have accurate notes
- Taking obstacles out of the way to get to your end ‘game’ – the content
About our Guest
Michelle was an elementary classroom teacher for over 26 years before becoming a Technology Integration Specialist for Smithtown Central School District on LI, NY. She is the 2022, 2021 & 2017 WS BOCES Model Schools Winner. Google Certified Coach. Google Level 1 & 2 Certified Educator. 2021 Kami Hero. Kami Connect 2022 Speaker. 2022 ISTE Live Presenter. Passionate about supporting teachers integrate technology into their lessons to take them beyond pencil & paper to create dynamic, engaging, & inclusive lessons.
Links of Interest
- Twitter: @ManningTechTalk
- Facebook: @ManningTechTalk
- LinkedIn: @ManningTechTalk
- Instagram: @ManningTechTalk
- Here are my links from ISTE:
- The Slides Presentation: ly/SlidesToGamify
- The Slides Templates ly/GamifyTemplatesDoc
- Weekly Meet with Michelle Google Form (Forced Copy)
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
The Teach Better Podcast Network
The Teach Better Podcast Network is dedicated to supporting the entire school ecosystem through in-depth conversations around topics you care about. Covering a variety of areas in education, each podcast aims to support educators in the field toward creating and maintaining a progressive, student-focused classroom. Check out the recent episodes, subscribe, and learn more about the variety of shows!
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)