Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff welcomes Martin McGauran on the podcast to discuss the importance of teaching Digital Citizenship to both our students, and our teachers.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Question of the Week
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This week’s question is:
What is the difference between Digital Citizenship and Digital Literacy?
- Digital Citizenship vs Digital Literacy
- Digital Citizenship is NOT “Cyber Safety”
- Digital Citizenship is “What you do online”
- How can Coaches support teachers in teaching Digital Citizenship in their lesson plans
- Current state of digital citizenship education in elementary classrooms (Australia vs USA)
- Australia – National Digital Citizenship Curriculum
- “Digital Safety – and Well Being”
- Important Topics in Digital Citizenship
- Social Media Awareness & Safety
- Online Gaming & Online Conversations
- Meta Worlds and “second life” type of virtual environments
- How to Report what you see online … safely and respectfully
- Don’t vs Do’s in student user agreements
- Explicit vs embedded digital citizenship
- Where to find good resources about Digital Citizenship
- Common Sense Media
- Be Internet Awesome
- gov.au (Government Organization)
- Digital Citizenship is NOT “Cyber Safety”
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
About our Guest: Martin McGuaran
Marty McGauran is an Australian primary (elementary) school teacher and educational consultant with over 12 years experience in schools. He is a qualified teacher, holds a Masters of Education (ICT & Digital Learning) as well as being a Google for Education Certified Trainer and Innovator. In 2018 he founded Inform and Empower, with the aim of redesigning and rethinking the way that digital safety and wellbeing is delivered in primary schools.
Marty's passion for digital citizenship & online safety comes from his extensive experience as both a classroom teacher & school technology/curriculum leader. He is equally energised presenting to parents & carers, teachers or students! In 2022 his live streamed incursion program (Every Term, Every Student) reaches an Australian audience of 21,000 students.
Links of Interest
- Website: informandempower.com.au
- Twitter: @educatormarty
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martin-mcgauran-98232a7a/
- ISTE Resources: https://sites.google.com/informandempower.com.au/digitalcitizenship/home
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
The Teach Better Podcast Network
The Teach Better Podcast Network is dedicated to supporting the entire school ecosystem through in-depth conversations around topics you care about. Covering a variety of areas in education, each podcast aims to support educators in the field toward creating and maintaining a progressive, student-focused classroom. Check out the recent episodes, subscribe, and learn more about the variety of shows!
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)