Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff sits down with Instructional Coaches and authors Stephanie Howell and Tara Ruckman to discuss their new book “Control the Chaos.”
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Question of the Week
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This week’s question is:
Question Topic: How can Instructional Coaches help teachers in building executive functioning skills in their students?
- Should Coaches be Controlling the Chaos in Classrooms?
- What should or shouldn’t Chaos look like?
- What should a “great classroom experience” look like?
- In K-5
- Flexible Grouping
- Fluid Rotation
- Increased Attention
- Engaged Students
- Students having an increased level of confidence and motivation for learning
- NOT Lecturing
- NOT just putting learning intentions on the board
- Middle School
- Faster transition between classroom activities
- Less “broken down” of instructions
- High School
- Conversations are geared towards student motivations and interests
- In K-5
- How do we teach executive functioning skills in a digital classroom?
- Keeping Blended Learning in the Student-Centered Classroom
- Why should Teachers & Coaches be worried about Time Management?
- How do we control the clock?
- Strategies for Success
- Flexible Paced Learning
- Progressive Tasks
- Digital Resources
- Ongoing Assessments
- Collaborative Learning
- Let's talk about executive functioning and blended learning and how you need to have the to for a great classroom experience.
- Executive Functioning Skills The impact on the classroom
About the Book: Control the Chaos
- Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3yrEmf2
- Website: https://controlthechaos.goldedu.org/home
- Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/controlthechaos.edu
- Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ControlChaosEdu
About our Guests
Stephanie is the CEO of Gold EDU, a founder of Global GEG, and the EdTech Lead for Pickerington Local Schools. She is key to the embedding and implementation of EdTech tools across her schools and organizations. She has a masters in Curriculum and Instruction and is an adjunct professor for Ashland University.
She enjoys creating resources to support the needs of teachers and students that increases engagement and levels up tier 1 instruction. She builds relationships with co-planning and co-teaching. She loves sharing her resources and connecting with educators across the world via social media and professional learning. When she is not busy sharing her resources and connecting with other professionals, she is spending time with her husband and son.
Links of Interest
- Website: goldedu.org
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/mrshowell24
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/GoldEDULLC
Tara Ruckman is currently Certified Crisis Prevention Intervention Instructor, Youth, Teen, and Trauma Informed Yoga Educator, Resident Educator Program Coordinator and a Behavior Coach for fourteen schools. In addition to her roles in the public school system she is also an adjunct Professor for Ashland University and Best Selling Co-Author of Control the Chaos: Creating Order in the Classroom and Teaching Executive Functioning Skills.
Tara is key to embedding and implementation of Tier 1, 2, and 3 behavior interventions. ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) and a Master's in Special Education is her education. She enjoys dissecting intense behaviors through functional behavior assessments and turning them into comprehensive behavioral intervention plans to support student progress. She also loves the pro-active teaching of desired behaviors for students that need that support! When she is not busy talking about behavior analysis and supporting teachers around many schools, you will find her trying to show the people she loves how they are her #1!
Links of Interest
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
The Teach Better Podcast Network
The Teach Better Podcast Network is dedicated to supporting the entire school ecosystem through in-depth conversations around topics you care about. Covering a variety of areas in education, each podcast aims to support educators in the field toward creating and maintaining a progressive, student-focused classroom. Check out the recent episodes, subscribe, and learn more about the variety of shows!
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)