Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff sits down with Instructional Coach Renee Dawson to discuss the various ways that Coaches can start meaningful and authentic conversations that result in positive interactions in the classroom.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Question of the Week
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This week’s question is:
Question Topic What are great ways of connecting with teachers that are effective in helping coaches enter classrooms and have meaningful interactions with teachers?
Instructional Coaching Conversation Starters that Actually Work!
Sample Conversation Starters
- What can I take off your plate?
- Which of these ways could I be the most helpful to you?
- co-planning, curating resources, providing time for collaboration with another teacher, etc, other
- What is on your mind?
- What can I do to help your process?
- What is going well?
- How can I support you?
- What are you struggling with?
- What information do you need?
- How can I be a partner to you this week, quarter, semester, etc
- What is currently keeping you up at night?
- What part can I play in this process?
- Are there any ways I can support you?
- What problems can I help you solve?
- What are a few things that I can help you organize to be more efficient and feel less stressed?
- What is something I can try to take off your plate to help you out?
- Tell me what is working in your classroom.
- Where are your victories happening?
- What are your goals this week?
- Do you want me to listen or would you like me to give you constructive feedback?
- What task takes up a lot of time?
- Can I cover your class while you use the restroom and grab some coffee?
Tips for Second-Year Instructional Coaches
- Create a schedule and stick to it
- Put everything on your calendar
- Use a Booking Calendar
- Microsoft Bookings
- Create a Wakelet with your Coaching Menu and Feedback Forms (NEED A LINK)
- Create a communication system with your teachers
- Calendar Booking App
- Personal Organization
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
About our Guest: Renee Dawson
Renee Dawson has been in the education field for 16 years. As a Special Education teacher, she taught in elementary, middle, and high school settings in self-contained, co-taught, and resource environments; as well as working with students in hospital and home environments. She has worked with students with a variety of disabilities and assistive technology needs. She has certifications in working with students with physical/health disabilities and dyslexia, specifically and has focused most of her teaching years serving those populations. Currently, she is an Educational Technology Specialist in Atlanta Public Schools. She manages the Verizon Innovative Learning Initiative at Crawford W. Long Middle School which provides Chromebooks and Verizon hotspots for every student, a STEM initiative, and professional development for teachers. She was an Ed Farm Innovation Fellow last school year and is currently an HP Teaching Fellow.
Links of Interest
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
The Teach Better Podcast Network
The Teach Better Podcast Network is dedicated to supporting the entire school ecosystem through in-depth conversations around topics you care about. Covering a variety of areas in education, each podcast aims to support educators in the field toward creating and maintaining a progressive, student-focused classroom. Check out the recent episodes, subscribe, and learn more about the variety of shows!
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)