Are You a Minimalist Instructional Coach?
Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff sits down with Tammy Musiowsky-Borneman, co-author of the new ASCD book “The Minimalist Teacher” to discuss how Instructional Coaches can create a more focused atmosphere for themselves and the world around them.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Question of the Week
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This week’s question is:
Question Topic: How can I be more productive with my teachers … by doing just a bit less than I am already doing?
- What is a “Minimalist Classroom?”
- Do Less … Better
- How to declutter your:
- Physical environment
- World around you?
- How can Instructional Coaches support teachers during a those of the year when there are SO MANY district and building initiatives to keep track of?
- How can we help our classrooms stay focused on the important aspects of day to day activities?
- What is the Triple P Cycle?
- Advice for Instructional Coaches supporting teachers in multiple buildings when they also have an extremely cluttered life
The importance of bringing principles of lifestyles that create calm and applicability to schools. Sharing ideas about how we began this work is helpful for educators to know and how we try to live these ideas in our lives as educators.
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
About our Guests
Tammy Musiowsky-Borneman has been in the field of education for over 20 years, working primarily with elementary school students and teachers. She currently works at Kokua Academy in Kona, Hawai’i as the school’s Head of Teaching & Learning. She is the founder of Plan Z Professional Learning Services and an ASCD author. Over the years, Tammy has also taught and led inHawai'i, Singapore, New York City, and Edmonton, Canada. She is the Executive Director of the Emerging Leader Alumni Affiliate and has co-authored the ASCD book, The Minimalist Teacher. She has also written several guest blogs for ASCD Inservice, Express, and EdWeek Teacher blog on topics such as minimalism in teaching, creating cultures of learning, student engagement, inclusivity, and student agency. Follow her on Twitter @TMus_Ed.
Tammy Musiowsky-Borneman and Christine Arnold have developed a way to bring a minimalist mindset to the classroom and shed the burden of too many initiatives, strategies, and “things” in general. Their Triple P process helps teachers declutter in three steps: identify something's purpose, prioritize what is important, and pare down to essentials.
Because the Triple P process emphasizes structured and candid self-reflection to determine what is essential, meaningful, and useful—and then discard what is extraneous—The Minimalist Teacher can be adapted to the physical classroom environment, curriculum, instruction, assessment, and more. Each chapter provides sample reflection questions and brainstorming activities to help teachers
- Reduce mental and physical waste.
- Manage burnout and stress.
- Advocate for minimalism in the school.
- Prioritize resources that best support student learning.
Teachers face countless decisions every day, few of which are easy, but they don’t have to be overwhelming. No matter the classroom, you can take control of your daily decisions in a way that reduces educator stress and builds a better learning environment for students.
Contact the Podcast!
- Twitter: @AskTheTechCoach
- Email: email@example.com
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Susan Vincentz | @sv314dws
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
The Teach Better Podcast Network
The Teach Better Podcast Network is dedicated to supporting the entire school ecosystem through in-depth conversations around topics you care about. Covering a variety of areas in education, each podcast aims to support educators in the field toward creating and maintaining a progressive, student-focused classroom. Check out the recent episodes, subscribe, and learn more about the variety of shows!
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!