Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff sits down with Melissa Jackson, Susan Shapiro, and Jon Miller to discuss the importance of safety and school safety training to ensure that our teachers, students, and community are well informed in case of an emergency.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
- Are our schools prepared for unknown crisis?
- “Always being prepared for the last emergency” Helping school leaders get into a new mindset for the next crisis
- How to prepare people for the unexpected
- Getting the education out to the faculty. It’s more than having the information on paper in a binder on the shelf
- How do we take the plans that we do have in writing and make them accessible for the teacher
- How can we empower our teachers to make the right decisions during a time of crisis
- Training adults to take care of young children during an emergency
- How to begin to create an emergency preparedness plan for a building, school district, and community.
- How can we educate our community on our district safety plans and emergency procedures
- How to help our community trust in those who are assigned to serve and protect our staff and students
- How can Instructional Coaches support Law Enforcement, School Resource Officers, Administration, Staff, & students before, during, or after a time of crisis?
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
About our Guests
Susan H. Shapiro is an Associate Professor of Early Childhood and Special Education at Touro Graduate School of Education is also Co-Director of the New DEEL (Democratic Ethical Educational Leadership) Community Network. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in child psychology from the New School, Eugene Lang College; a Master's degree from Bank Street College of Education; and her Doctorate from the Steinhardt School at New York University in Educational Leadership. She has led early childhood programs and inclusion programs for the past 25 years. She has also been an advocate for early childhood education policy and has authored articles on crisis, ethical leadership and compassion. She is the author of a new book Interpreting COVID-19 Through Turbulence Theory Perspectives and Cases from Early Childhood and Special Education.
Links of Interest
Dr. Melissa Jackson, is the Director of Faculty Development and Outreach at a private special education school and Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Early Childhood Development and Learning: Diverse Children and Families Graduate program in the Special Education Department at Hunter College, in New York City. She holds a doctorate in Instructional leadership, graduate degree in Early Childhood Special Education, and an Advanced Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis. Melissa is passionate about working with young children with special needs, their families, and the professionals that work with them. Her research interests include the relationship between practitioners' self-efficacy and the implementation of evidence-based supports provided to children with special needs, building evidence to teach essential emergency response skills to children with ASD, collaboration with families, social validity, and professional development for pre-service and in-service teachers.
Jonathan D. Miller is a School Security Specialist certified by the New Jersey Department of Education. He is a retired New Jersey Police Captain with thirty years of experience in public safety, emergency management, school security, and is considered a subject-matter expert regarding school safety. He is a New Jersey certified Safe School Resource Officer and an A.L.I.C.E. certified train-the-trainer. In addition to his vast law enforcement and school security credentials, Mr. Miller has many years of experience as a certified police instructor, school security presenter, EMT/CPR instructor and volunteer ambulance technician. His experience and training also includes K-12 school security, behavioral threat analysis and school climate initiatives.
He currently serves as the Safety and Security Specialist for a Regional School District in Northern New Jersey. Mr. Miller is an active participant in his county Prosecutor’s Safe Schools Task Force.
Mr. Miller holds a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice / Public Administration and is a current member of the ASIS International School Safety and Security Council.
Mr. Miller founded the Bergen County Association of School Security Professionals (BCASSP) in 2017 and currently serves as its president. This organization is the first of its kind in the State of New Jersey and is supported by the County Prosecutor’s Office and recognized by the New Jersey Department of Education’s Office of School Preparedness and Emergency Planning.
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
The Teach Better Podcast Network
The Teach Better Podcast Network is dedicated to supporting the entire school ecosystem through in-depth conversations around topics you care about. Covering a variety of areas in education, each podcast aims to support educators in the field toward creating and maintaining a progressive, student-focused classroom. Check out the recent episodes, subscribe, and learn more about the variety of shows!
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)