Can Instructional Coaches Save the Teaching Profession?
Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff sits down with Donna Gerard to discuss some of the reasons why teachers are leaving the profession.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Question of the Week
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This week’s question is:
Question Topic: Why are so many teachers leaving the classroom?
- Why did you want to become a teacher?
- What do you want to tell prospective and new teachers?
- Why do you think so many teachers are leaving the profession?
- How do you think teaching and education in general can be restored?
- You make many references to The Powers That Be. What would you like to tell The Powers That Be?
About our Guest: Donna Gerard
Donna Gerard is a retired teacher turned writer and part-time substitute teacher. She had 34 years of teaching experience, mostly in middle school, and she has taught all subjects. She has experience with general program students, special education, ELL, gifted and talented, and struggling learners. Gerard was a practitioner of basal readers, formal spelling programs, phonics, whole language, call and response, book learning, hands-on learning, multiple intelligences, computer-based learning, individualized instruction, and cooperative learning, to name a few. She drew the conclusion that every trend in education has merit and should be used, but none are the “answer” to how to teach all students or should be used exclusively. Aside from teaching, Gerard loves every kind of water sport, from swimming laps to parasailing and kayaking. She is an avid game player, a die-hard Star Trek fan, and an aspiring world traveler. She lives with her husband and her part-time dog in New Jersey.
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
Contact the Podcast!
- Twitter: @AskTheTechCoach
- Email: email@example.com
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Susan Vincentz | @sv314dws
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
The Teach Better Podcast Network
The Teach Better Podcast Network is dedicated to supporting the entire school ecosystem through in-depth conversations around topics you care about. Covering a variety of areas in education, each podcast aims to support educators in the field toward creating and maintaining a progressive, student-focused classroom. Check out the recent episodes, subscribe, and learn more about the variety of shows!
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!