In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Nick discuss different types of coaching styles and how a new Tech Coach can find his/her own voice within the position.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Reflections and reactions on episode 25:
- What Makes a Good Faculty Meeting Presentation?
- What do you do when you know you are being set up for failure?
- What do you do when the district initiative is not the building initiative?
- January Tech Coach Mastermind
- How can a Tech Coach find his/her own style and voice within the position?
- A Presenter-centered Approach
- Good for absorbing information and getting the “nitty-gritty” out of the way.
- How much lecture is too much lecture?
- When is the best time to do it during a workshop?
- You are always a presenter who is a teacher
- A Hands-on Guided Approach
- Knowing when to help and when to hold back
- Knowing what to provide as an example or template based on how creative the teachers are
- Show… don’t tell
- It’s ok to show your faults if issues come up
- A Facilitator / Coach Approach
- Helps promote self-learning and teacher discovery
- More personal- get to know the teachers more
- Focus on teaching styles and student outcomes
- The Collaborative Approach
- Does Think – Pair – Share work in PD?
- Leave it open to discussion
- Tech Coach as a learner too
- Building in time to brainstorm/plan together with the tech coach
- A Blended /Hybrid Approach
- Inclusive – a distillation of the best styles
- Gives you time to tailor the training session to your teachers
- Easy to incorporate tech
- Finding Your Own Voice
- How to feel comfortable teaching adults vs children
- How to navigate through the sea of Administration and Association
- How not to get disturbed when things get awkward
- How to be you and not lose your personality and self
- On the Next Episode
- November 26: Tech Coach RoundTable
- December 3: How to Prepare for a Multi-Hour Presentation / Workshop
Download Our FREE Google Drawing Technology Self-Assessment!
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Tech Tip of the Week
- It’s not easy to find your teaching style … especially during your first year. Don’t forget that we all make mistakes and the only way we can learn from our mistakes is by making them. Feedback is important no matter where it comes from.
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)