In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” we take a look at the most important professional relationship that you can have in your role as a Tech Coach. The relationship between a Tech Coach and a building principal is one of the most important connections that should, if possible, begin before the school year starts.
In the summer, a Tech Coach should meet with building administrators to get an idea of what they would like to see in their classrooms and what their thoughts of a digital learning environment are. From there, a plan can be made to create not just your professional learning roadmap, but a plan for all professional development and teacher interactions that ultimately have an impact on the learning of every staff member and student in the building.
Today we are going to take a look at several things that a Tech Coach can do to make sure they are helping their building administrators see their vision of what digital learning should look like.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Reflections from Last WeekTech Coach Guide To Creating Weekly Newsletters
- Tech Coach Mastermind
- Join the Tech Coach Mastermind and learn how to help your school district today!2 Mastermind group meetings each month
- Lifetime access to our Tech Coach Online Community
- Free Lesson Plans
- Free Templates
- Much Much More
- Do You Have a Question For Us?
- Twitter: @AskTheTechCoach
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Working With Principals and Building Leaders to Help Them Achieve Their Goals
- Understanding the Mindset of an AdministratorBe empathetic of what it means to be an administrator and understand how much is on their plate
- Understand why you are in the role you are in and what role the district wants you to play in teacher development vs what the principal wants
- Being Data-Driven with your DecisionsCreate a Data Dashboard so you can back up your thoughts, ideas, and decisions with numbers
- Listen, Listen, ListenTake notes during the meeting
- Share your notes with your administrator to make sure you have everything understood correctly
- Think before respondingRemember that you are in your role because you also have a vision for what digital learning is.
- Do your best to translate what your administrator is saying back to them without sounding like you are the “digital know-it-all”
- Understand when it's time to lead and when it’s time to reactSometimes it’s important to push your agenda and sometimes it’s important to know when to follow the lead of the principal.
- Know when to hold em and know when to fold em
- On the Next Episode
- Building Personal and Professional Relationships with your Teachers and Certified Staff
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Tech Tip of the Week
- One of the most important things that you have as a Tech Coach is relationships. The personal and professional relationships that you have with your coworkers is what will ultimately make or break the digital breakthroughs that happen in your classrooms each and every day. If your teachers are comfortable approaching you then they take valuable time out of their day and sit down with you. Out of all of these relationships, the one that you have with your building principal is probably the most important. It is your responsibility to have a solid working relationship with your building leaders not only so they know what you are doing with the professionals they are ultimately responsible for, but so you can take their ideas and thoughts about what a digital classroom is and help make it a reality through your professional development.
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)