In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Susan discuss approaches and things to think about as you enter a classroom for lesson modeling and/or co-teaching. What does it look like when a tech coach works with students?
In this episode, we discuss:
Reflections from Last Week:
- In last week’s episode, we talked about what professional development looks like for us as Tech Coaches.
Tech Coach Mastermind
- Join the Tech Coach Mastermind and learn how to help your school district today!
- 2 Mastermind group meetings each month
- Lifetime access to our Tech Coach Online Community
- Free Lesson Plans
- Free Templates
- Much Much More
Do You Have a Question For Us?
What Challenges Does a Tech Coach Face When Working With Students Inside a Classroom?
- Establish that I DO–>WE DO–>YOU DO approach if at all possible so there is plan when entering a teachers classroom. However, this is not always possible. We want to build capacity, but in a way that will keep the teacher (and students) wanting more and feeling comfortable pursuing the technology integration as they continue through the school year, not just when the tech coach is in the room.
- Understanding the needs of all students
- Cultural, Behavioral, Special Needs that may or may not be communicated prior
- It’s nice to know about these things before entering the room, but if slip-ups happen, you accidentally embarrass a student, or something similar; experience will lead you in the direction of handling these things with composure and/or humor whichever is appropriate for the situation. Don’t beat yourself up as a coach over these things, learn from it, chalk it up to experience building and keep moving forward.
- Understanding the tech limitations of the classroom-
- Always have that Plan B up your sleeve in case something doesn’t work all of a sudden or surprises arise.
- Again, experience will lead here as you gain relationships with the teachers and the IT Department. Learn to be a listener when they say something isn’t working and don’t try to just be the HERO right then and there. Use this as a teachable time to go through proper channels as you put on your “Ed-Technician” hat for small amount of time.
- Alienating the Teacher during a lesson –
- Include the teacher as much as possible to the point they are comfortable – get to know what they are comfortable with by establishing those prior relationships
- Establishing a management style and gaining students attention when the coach may only have a half-hour to an hour to truly get topic across
- Enter into the lesson in a positive manner as possible and establish what a fun learning experience this will be both for the students and the teachers (age-appropriate of course – elementary will look much different cheering about Fun than high school)
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Matt Friedman | @mfriedmanPGH
- Susan Vincentz | @SV314dws
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!
- Matt Friedman (@mfriedmanPGH) is available as a Keynote Speaker or Presenter