In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Susan discuss the many questions surrounding distance learning including how to approach the idea as well as logistical consideration to think about surrounding teacher work hours, etc.
In this episode, we discuss:
Reflections from Last Week:
- In last week’s episode, we talked about what professional development looks like for us as Tech Coaches.
Tech Coach Mastermind
- Join the Tech Coach Mastermind and learn how to help your school district today!
- 2 Mastermind group meetings each month
- Lifetime access to our Tech Coach Online Community
- Free Lesson Plans
- Free Templates
- Much Much More
Do You Have a Question For Us?
What is Distance Learning?
- Distance learning can take the form of a class being conducted within a building or district for various student needs. It can also go so far as going from outside of a district for international study or college study.
- Reasons for Distance Learning
- Lack of course offering at a specific building
- Dual Credit for college courses
- Homebound/Extended illness
- Need for bringing in experts on a particular topic during a normal instructional course
- Questions/Items to consider when approaching the idea of Distance Learning
- Safety for members and students – Ask questions to your district/building administration, find out what (if any) plans or procedures are in place
- Actions/guidance from the DOE – Are there mandates at the state level regarding time off for “non-traditional” instruction?
- Challenge to remote learning – What are the procedures for administering distance learning assignments? What about those students without a device or internet access?
- Lost wages for some parents that have to stay home – Ask questions to your district/building on how to best address parent concerns that may arise.
- Not thorough and efficient for special needs students – Think about ways to meet student IEP/differentiation requirements in a distance learning environment.
- No breakfast and lunch programs for students in need – What resources are in place in the community that could help address the physical needs of the students?
Join the TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Instructional Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
- 3 Distinct Professional Learning Networks designed to help you grow for network other Coaches and Digital Learning Leaders
- Free Downloadable Templates and Coaching Resources that can be used in your district … tomorrow!
- Direct access to Jeff Bradbury and all off his “offline” content that he creates during the school year.
- Exclusive TeacherCast and “Ask the Tech Coach” podcast episodes directly relating to the questions that YOU ASK in our PLN groups.
- Weekly email check-ins to stay connected and discuss your Instructional Coaching program!
- Monthly invitations to TeacherCast Instructional Coaching Meetings and Webinars
- … and more!
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Matt Friedman | @mfriedmanPGH
- Susan Vincentz | @SV314dws
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!
- Matt Friedman (@mfriedmanPGH) is available as a Keynote Speaker or Presenter