In this episode of EdTech in the Classroom, we welcome Nancy Garvey, Director of Digital Learning at Coppell Independent School District and Bria Jones from Bulb Digital Portfolios on to the program to discuss the importance of digital curation through portfolios. I have been a big fan of Bulb for the last few months and it is an extremely easy application to use and is a fantastic way to teach your students the art of presentation. Check them out today!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why is it important for students to learn about curating their digital content?
- Why are digital portfolios important
- How are students using them
- Value of adding a portfolio component into the curriculum
- Thoughts about year-long portfolios vs multi-year portfolios
About Bulb Digital Portfolios
bulb is an award-winning digital portfolio simple enough to be used from K-8, beautiful enough for high school, college and career pursuits, and powerful enough to use for a lifetime of learning. Over one million bulbs have been created by students and educators from more than 125 countries. bulb is ad-free, complies with global data privacy and security policies and doesn’t sell user information to 3rd parties. bulb integrates with most LMS or SIS systems, including Microsoft Office 365, Google, Canvas, Schoology and Blackboard. bulb partners with Clever and ClassLink to provide single sign-on functionality. Learn more at https://www.bulbapp.com.
About our Guests
Nancy Garvey is the director of digital learning at Coppell Independent School District in Texas. Her team of digital learning coaches promote and support the use of digital tools and strategies across the district. Nancy is from Canada but moved to Texas in high school and holds a degree from Texas Tech University. For the past 2 years, she has been leading the implementation of bulb Digital Portfolios across the district.
Director of Customer Success at bulb Digital Portfolios
After working for seven years in the communications department for one of the leading school districts in the nation, Bria decided to invest her time and energy in a product she believed will positively change the way students learn and teachers teach. With a background in communications and a career in education, not to mention having an exemplary educator as a husband and growing up in a family where mom was a principal, Bria knows how to speak the language of educators and understands the needs of students.
Bria resides in Colorado with her husband (a high school history teacher) and three sons.
Links of Interest
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Edtech in the Classroom Homepage – www.EdtechInTheClassroom.com
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Use our conference game plan template to document and focus your learning this summer.
- The bulbLibrary has great examples and templates to use in your classroom and for your professional use.
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at [8:00] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv