In this episode of Educational Podcasting Today, Jeff welcomes Hans Appel on the program to discuss how his students are creating the Award-Winning Culture Podcast, a show created completely by his amazing middle school students. Learn how you can bring podcasting into your classroom today by listening to his inspiring story!
If you are a new listener to TeacherCast, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Page and let us know how we can help you today!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Award-Winning Culture Podcast-How it came to be
- Working with student podcasters
- Setting up a classroom podcast
- Equipment needsBlue Yeti Microphone
- Rode Microphone
- Finding the best applications to useSkype
- ECAMM Call Recorder
- Getting school buy-in
- Assessing the success of students and the project
- Parent’s thoughts and reactions
- Student thoughts, reactions, and reflections
- Where do we go from here? Next steps
About Hans Appel
Hans Appel has worked as a counselor in the Richland School District for the past 18 years and at Enterprise Middle School since it opened. He’s passionate about school culture, servant leadership, and kindness. In 2018, EMS was awarded the ASCD Whole Child Award for the State of Washington and the Global “Class Act Award” for creating a culture of excellence through kindness, service, and empathy. In 2019, EMS was chosen as a finalist for the PBIS Film Festival, which showcased their award-winning school culture. Recently, Hans launched his own blog about School Culture and this fall rolled out a student-led leadership podcast called Award Winning Culture: Hosted by Wildcat Nation, which can be subscribed, listened or reviewed on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, Spotify, and Libsyn. He can be contacted at email@example.com. Follow Hans on twitter @hansappel094. Follow AWC on twitter at @awculture or Instagram @awardwinningculture. Wildcat Nation at @emswildcats1 and Instagram @emscounseling #WildcatNation #AwardWinningCulture
About the Award-Winning Culture Podcast
Enterprise Middle School received the 2018 ASCD Whole Child Award in Washington and the 2018 Global “Class Act Award” for its award-winning culture. By creating a culture of kindness, service, and empathy we've taken student leadership to an epic level. We invite you to join in this unique student-led journey where we explore Character, Excellence, and Community with some of the best leadership minds. We'll be sharing interviews with authors, educators, experts, and even other leadership students around the country. Whether you're an educator, student, parent or just passionate about culture and leadership, we invite you into this unique platform focused on raising education to incredible heights.
Links of Interest
- Homepage: http://www.awardwinningculture.com/podcast
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/hansappel094
- Podcast Twitter: https://twitter.com/awculture
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/-vc7XE4J4Fs
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/awardwinningculture/
- Apple Podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/award-winning-culture-hosted-by-wildcat-nation/id1435716995?mt=2
- Google Podcasts: https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/podcasts
- Stitcher Radio: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hans-appel/award-winning-culture
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Educational Podcasting Today Podcast | @PodcastingToday
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This weeks question is:
Question: How can you bring Podcasting into your classrooms? What impact can podcasting have on your students?
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Learn how to create your own Podcasts with these great resources from TeacherCast
- Join our brand new Facebook Page!
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)