As a podcaster, writer, blogger, or any type of content creator, we are often telling a story… often the story of a guest or another person. Our job as storytellers is to create a world for our listeners and readers that set up our subjects as the hero of their stories and their worlds so that they are standing tall both at the beginning and end of the blog or podcast.
But how often do we ever get the opportunity to get up and tell our personal hero stories?
It turns out that this is one of the most important things that we can do as creators. The ability to not only craft the stories of others but create our own stories is one of the most important things that we can do to Build Our Own EDU Brands.
In this episode of the Jeff Bradbury Show, we meet podcaster, speaker, author, and life long educator Barbara Bray who explains to us the power and importance of Defining our Why.
This subtle yet powerful vulnerability that each of us needs to possess is important not only to help our audience connect with us, but for us to be able to connect with our inner passions and gifts that we all possess.
Do you have a Why Story? We would love to hear from you!
If you are a new listener to TeacherCast, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Page and let us know how we can help you today!
The TeacherCast 90-Day Email Marketing Challenge
At this moment, I'm guessing you might fit into one of these categories:
- You have a great idea that you would like to get noticed by the educational community
- You are looking to build a distinguishable brand for yourself to get noticed by edtech companies, professional learning conferences, or perhaps … employers.
- You are looking to take your current website, blog, podcast, book, and/or social media strategy to the next level
In this challenge, you are going to learn:
- How to find and target your Avatar to grow your email list.
- The importance of having a great looking website and how to build the one that attracts eyes on your brand and grows your email list.
- How to grow a successful Social Media strategy that gets you noticed and grows your email list.
- How to create a branded professional slide deck for your next conference that grows your email list.
- How to fight the war on the inbox and what it means for your unopened emails.
- How to improve your email open rates so that the work you put into your emails gets noticed clicked on.
- and much more …
Reflections From Our Previous Episode
- Episode 5: What does your Social Media Profile Say About You?
- Episode 6: How To Build Your EDU Brand Through LinkedIn
- Episode 7: Email Marketing -Vs- Weekly Newsletters: What’s The Difference?
- Episode 8: 5 Ways To Build Your EDU Brand Through Email Marketing
Join the new Facebook Group for Educational Content Creators!
Are you looking to join a community of educators who are searching for the right answers to help them Build Their EDU Brands? Join our brand new Facebook Community today!
Follow our Podcast and Subscribe
5 Ways To Tell Your “WHY” Story
- Share your backstory
- What stands out about your backstory?
- What is the origin of your family?
- Do you have a moment in your life you wish you could go back and relive?
- How do you think your backstory impacted you so you became who you are today?
- Start with your WHY instead of your WHAT or HOW
- The importance of explaining why you are doing something before you teach them how to do something.
- Find your ikigai
- ikigai = The Meaning of Life
- What you love
- what you're good at
- what the world needs
- what you are valued for
- When looking at yourself … is there something that surprises you?
- How can ikigai help you build your self-confidence and encourage self-advocacy?
- ikigai = The Meaning of Life
- Align your passion with what the world needs
- What is the difference between self-care and isolating yourself?
- Why is it important for all of us to be aware of global goals?
- Be the chief storyteller of YOU and your WHY
About our Guest: Barbara Bray
Barbara Bray is a Creative Learning Strategist who has been trying to transform teaching and learning for over 30 years. She is the host of the Rethinking Learning Podcast, co-author of two books, Make Learning Personal, and How to Personalize Learning, co-hosts the #rethink_learning Twitter chat, and is author of her new book, Define Your WHY.
Barbara provides keynotes, workshops, webinars, and more around the WHY so educators own and tell their story so they can live and learn on purpose.
Links of Interest
- Twitter @bbray27 #defineyourWHY #rethink_learning
- Rethinking Learning Podcast: https://barbarabray.net/podcasts/
- Define Your WHY Book: https://barbarabray.net/define-your-why
- EduMatch Publishing https://www.edumatchpublishing.com/
- Toolkit: The Toolkit on Rethinking Learning
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/barbarabray and join https://www.facebook.com/RethinkingLearning/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/barbarabray/
Follow our Host
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website/Blog: Rethinking Learning
- Podcast Host: Rethinking Learning Podcast
- Founder/Owner, My eCoach
- Co-author: Make Learning Personal and How to Personalize Learning
- New Book: Define Your WHY
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on Apple Podcasts today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
- EdTech in the Classroom (http://www.edtechintheclassroom.com)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!