In this episode of the TechEducator Podcast, we take a look at this years ISTE conference. Learn how 6 of educations top EDU Podcasters will be attending and manipulating through hundreds of hours of presentations, networking events, and vendor demonstrations and learn how YOU can connect with those on the conference floor if you are #NOTATISTE.
In this episode, we discuss:
- All About IstePlease add conference links and socials
- ISTE Tag
- #NotatISTEPlease add #NotAtISTE links and such
- Transformative Leadership Summit – online only leadership conference for all educators, not just titled leaders: theme is empowerment.
- Great Sessions not to MissIGNITE Sessions
- Top Tech Tools for Coaches
- Tips for Surviving at ISTE
- Social Events to Look Forward ToEdTech Karaoke
- Carl Hooker’s Poetry Slam
- How to conquer the Vendor FloorRecognize that it is in their best interest to talk to someone who is going to make them money. Don’t waste their time, and don’t waste your time.
- Dan’s padlet – https://padlet.com/dankreiness/tools4coaches
- #PassTheScopeEdu and passthescopeedu.com
- Ventra app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ventrachicago.riderapp
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- The TechEducator Podcast | @TechEdShow
- Visit the TechEducator Podcast | www.TechEducatorPodcast.com
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Dr. Sam Patterson | @SamPatue
- Jennifer Judkins | @TeachingForward
- Josh Gauthier | @MrGFactoftheDay
- Rob Pennington | @RobPennington9
- Jennifer Giffen | @VirtualGiff
- Nicholas Amaral | @Namaraledu
About our Guests
Dr. Will, as he is affectionately known as, is a recognized digital leader who is all in on the power of mobile to support this Netflix generation of learners. Leveraging learning outside the confines of the classroom, his mission is to remove technology as an impediment from teachers becoming innovators in their classroom.
Dr. Will is also the creator and host of The Dr. Will Show where he interviews educators and entrepreneurs on how to level up. The podcast can be found on SoundCloud and iTunes.
Brad Shreffler is an Instructional Technology Coach and Podcast Host out of Central Florida. As a coach, he is focused on using technology in the classroom to evolve instruction for modern learners. His show, the Planning Period Podcast is all about talking to educators casually, like running into each other in the break room, about the topics they are interested in. You can follow him on Twitter and Instagram @BradShreffler or on his website, http://www.bradshreffler.com/
Podcaster Meetup [12:30]-[1:30] Wednesday at ISTE
Jethro Jones (@jethrojones), 2017 NASSP Digital Principal of the Year, is the Principal of Tanana Middle School, and host of Transformative Principal, where he interviews principals, leaders, and influencers who help improve K-12 education throughout the world. While growing up, Jethro attended five elementary schools, a middle school, and three different high schools. This experience instilled a desire to provide the most nimble educational experience possible, so that all students — no matter how long they are at his school, can pursue their own interests and work to their individual potential. Jethro has always pushed the envelope on learning situations. As principal at Kodiak Middle School he implemented a flexible schedule that allowed students to have Tier 2 interventions and enrichments. These complex logistics are facilitated with the Pickr app. Jethro has provided simple solutions to complex educational problems as a principal, district coach, library supervisor, and middle school teacher.
http://transformativeleadershipsummit.com/ Transformative Leadership Summit
Valerie is transitioning into an assistant principal role SY2018-19 in Gwinnett County, GA and has been in education for 18 yrs. She is passionate about students with disabilities and the role tech plays in their learning journey. The idea that learning is continuous certainly holds true and for this reason–connecting globally with others provides value and growth. She is 1/5th founder of Pass the Scope Edu and founder of EdObstacles. She also moderates Teacherpreneur chat and other Voxer groups. Her philosophy is that One Size Does Not Fit All!
#NOTATISTE18 Google Plus Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/102762507417207490264
#NOTATISTE18 Livebinder: https://www.livebinders.com/play/play?id=2374612
Dan Kreiness is a middle school instructional coach, podcast host, and connected educator who constantly searches for the most effective ways to advance education and produce high student achievement. Dan holds masters degrees in adolescent education and educational leadership and is currently a doctoral student in the field of educational leadership. He was named to the 2017 class of ASCD Emerging Leaders. He is also a Google Certified Educator, Nearpod Pionear, Flipgrid Ambassador and Hoonuit Learning Ambassador.
Dan hosts his own Leader of Learning podcast and has been a recurring host and panelist on the EduMatch Tweet and Talk podcast series. He is also an author who features his writing on his own “Leader of Learning” blog and has contributed guest blogs to The EduCal Blog, Your Instructional Coach, and TeachBoost. In addition to blogging, he also has published works as a contributor to the Edumatch Snapshot in Education (2017) Volume 2: Professional Practice and The EduMatch Teacher’s Recipe Guide: Survive and Thrive in the Kitchen and Beyond.
Dan is emerging as an expert presenter at education conferences, trainings, and EdCamps on topics including leadership, growth mindset, student engagement, various instructional technologies, augmented and virtual reality for education, and using social media in education. Dan is the creator of the successful growthmindsetEDU Voxer group after his interest in growth mindset was sparked as he studied how to be an effective instructional coach. His specific educational interests include leadership, educational technology, and student engagement.
- https://passthescopeedu.com (Pass the Scope EDU periscoping sessions from ISTE)
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This weeks question is:
Question: What are your tips, tricks, and strategies for navigating through the ISTE Conference?
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Link 1 What’s on the Horizon at ISTE? https://www.eschoolnews.com/2018/06/18/whats-on-the-horizon-at-iste-2018/?all
- Link 2 ISTE or NOT: Steve Hargadon tips
- Link 3 #NOTSTISTE? Ways to participate in ISTE 2018 remotely
- ISTE Insights: https://flipboard.com/@edublogs/iste-insights-m89u7n5vy
Tech Tip of the Week
- Tech Tip Goes Here To make instant friends at ISTE bring along a portable power strip because there are never enough outlets
Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip – 4 AC Outlet
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Wednesday at [8:30] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv