In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff, Susan, Thom Gibson, and Tammy Dunbar discuss various ways to keep students engaged in STEM Education during distance learning days.
In this episode, we discuss:
Reflections from Last Week:
- Last we discussed how our districts and schools have mobilized a digital/eLearning plan and gotten it off the ground in a matter of a few days.
Tech Coach Mastermind
- Join the Tech Coach Mastermind and learn how to help your school district today!
- 2 Mastermind group meetings each month
- Lifetime access to our Tech Coach Online Community
- Free Lesson Plans
- Free Templates
- Much Much More
Do You Have a Question For Us?
Teaching STEM Education During Distance Learning Days
- How DO we teach STEM from home? How does STEM education change from school to home?
- Teams or other collaborative video conferencing tools
- For teachers, give opportunities for extra side training through office hours/help desk, etc.
- Give them the opportunity to teach the way that works for them
- Replicate dialogue from the classroom as best as possible. Use regular discussion/reflection practices for math concepts even on video meetings.
- Incorporate small group discussions using Zoom Breakout Group rooms.
- Blog reflections/Video Reflections
- Use things already familiar
- Streamline approach – Where is your classroom located? Learning Mgmt. System, Website, etc.?
- Be present and available to your teachers to help guide them and make them feel comfortable.
- Break your training into smaller parts.
- How do we keep students engaged/interested in STEM education at home?
- Focus on one new thing at a time to gain success
- Continue enthusiasm by sharing with fellow teachers
- Build your PLN
- How do we control the uncontrollable when it comes to teaching STEM concepts when screen sharing may be blocked,etc.
- Introduce assignments, create accounts, stay in the class to check in later.
- Microsoft Translate features within the various tools including Teams, PowerPoint Desktop, etc.
- Advice For Distance Learning
- Thom- Ask teachers/students how things are going. Get in what you can and don’t stress over not covering everything in the curriculum.
- Tammy-Tech coaches checking in with teachers making sure they are doing okay personally as well as professionally. Availability and Presence. Ask successful teachers to share what is working.
Resources Available For Distance Learning
- Flipgrid – For the “M” in STEM, use the whiteboard feature in Flipgrid to talk through solving the problem. https://blog.flipgrid.com/news/remotelearning
- Steve Spangler Science Experiments at Home!
- Khan Academy: Imagineering in a Box!
- NASA at Home
About our Guests
Tammy Brecht Dunbar, M.Ed., STEM
Tammy Brecht Dunbar, M.Ed., S.T.E.M. teaches 5th grade in Manteca (CA) USD. Recent Honors: NCCE 2020 Closing Keynote Speaker, Fulbright TGC 2018-2019 Fellow, 2016 California Woman of the Year, Assembly District 12, 2018 ISTE Literacy PLN Award, featured presenter at MicrosoftEDU’s 2017 Hack the Classroom online and on Bob Greenburg’s Brainwaves series. Dunbar, a popular presenter & trainer in the US and around the world, won the 2010 eInstruction $75,000 Classroom Makeover Video Contest, wrote a successful Enhancing Education Through Technology federal grant for Manteca Unified, and was named Manteca USD Teacher of the Year.
- Thom Gibson, MS STEM Teacher
Twitter : @gibsonedu
YouTube : youtube.com/gibsonedu
Podcast : thomgibson.com/podcast
Thom Gibson is a two-time teacher-of-the-year educator in Austin, TX, an Adobe Education Leader, and teaches math, robotics, YouTube Video Production, and the esports club. He's the creator and host of the ‘Stories from the Classroom' podcast, he posts weekly teacher vlogs / teaching tip videos on his YouTube channel, and is the creator of the ‘How to Teach Kids About Money' course for teachers.
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Susan Vincentz | @SV314dws
- Melissa Summerford @SummerfordStars
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
Need a Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!
- Matt Friedman (@mfriedmanPGH) is available as a Keynote Speaker or Presenter