Computer Science Education for All Students (Featuring MIE Doug Bergman)
In this episode of the Microsoft Innovative Expert: Spotlight Series Podcast, we learn from MIE Doug Bergman how any school can create an exceptional Computer Science program that includes all students.
In this episode, you will learn:
- Successes in Computer Science Program at PGCreating a Unified K-12 Computer Science Program
- Choosing the right hardware for each grade level
- Primary CS vs Middle School CS vs High School CS
- Working with LEGO
- Minecraft & MakeCode
- Bridging the Gender Gap in K-12 Computer Science Programs
- Imagining Computer Science Education K-12TeacherCast.net/ImaginingCSEDU
- Why should teachers join the MIE program?
Follow our Podcast
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIEAudio
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIEVideo
- Show Notes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIESpotlight
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
About our Guests
Doug Bergman is the head of the CS department at Porter-Gaud independent school in Charleston, SC. for 17+ years and been in education for 23+ years. For several years, he worked in industry as a programmer as well as in I.T. While attending and teaching school in the US, Japan, and France, he has traveled extensively across the globe. He is a product of public education K-16 and holds a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems, M.A. in Education Administration, and is completing his Online Masters in Computer Science at Georgia Tech. He has taught in public schools, private schools, and professional schools and has worked with students from ages 5 – 99. His largest class was 300 students (I actually found out it was 300, not 30, in the hallway on the way to class. That was fun.) He has experience developing his own curriculum as well as using existing curriculum developed by others. In addition to being honored with regional, state, national and international recognitions, he has presented at conferences worldwide. In 2017, he was selected as a finalist for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. Currently, he serves on of the board of CSTA.
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- TeacherCast App Spotlight (http://www.teachercast.net/appspotlight)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at [8:00] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv
Need a Presenter?
Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!