In this episode of the Microsoft Innovative Educator Podcast, we speak with MIEExperts Amy and Valerie about innovative ways they create virtual field trips for their students using Skype in the Classroom.
In this episode, we discuss:
- MIE Application Self Nominations are Openaka.ms/mieexpert
- Using Skype in the ClassroomConnecting classrooms with every continent
- How to connect with other MIE’s through the Microsoft Educator Community
- Using Twitter in the classroom to connect with other educators
- How to find the right time to connect with faraway locations
- Skypeathon 2018November 6-7, 2018
- Mystery Skype
- What does student feedback look like after Skype activities?
- Best advice you can give an educator when starting a Skype activity
Follow our Podcast
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIEAudio
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIEVideo
- Show Notes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIESpotlight
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
About our Guests
Valerie Anglemyer is a 7th grade Humanities teacher and Instructional Coach at NorthWood Middle School in Wakarusa, Indiana. She is a Skype Master Teacher, an MIEExpert Fellow, and is on the TeachSDGs Teacher Cohort. Valerie is a graduate of Purdue University (BA, 2006) and Ball State University (MS, 2012) and is a recent Jacobs Award Winner from Indiana University (a national technology integration award). Valerie is passionate about global collaboration projects and loves empowering students to learn about and take action to solve world problems. @valanglemyer70
Amy Rosenstein teaches elementary school in Westchester County, NY. Co-Founder of TeachSDGs.org, she is a Skype Master Teacher, Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert and PBS Digital Innovator. Amy holds a Bachelor's Degree in Economics from Cornell University as well as a Master's in Elementary Education. Traveling the world via Skype with her students to places like Hong Kong, India, and Kenya, she incorporates digital storytelling, blogging, self-publishing and other web tools into her classroom. Author of the Scholastic eBook, 10 Fresh Ways to Incorporate Technology into Your Classroom, Amy is a recipient of the 2013 Pioneer Award and is a writer for KQED Education.
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This weeks question is:
In what ways are YOU using Skype in your classroom to connect with the world?
Please leave us a comment below and share your story.
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Earth Day Buncee Projects
- Microsoft Community – Amy Rosenstein page
- Videoconferencing article – KQED
- School Website Links
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- TeacherCast App Spotlight (http://www.teachercast.net/appspotlight)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at [8:00] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv