In this episode of EdTech in the Classroom, we welcome Naasira Wahid from the Sony KOOV team and Andrew Buitron from Barrio Logan College Institute on to the podcast to discuss how KOOV is transforming classrooms worldwide by providing a robust STEM component that allows students to imagine, build, code, and create!
In this episode, you will learn:
- Nurture creativity with KOOV blocks: KOOV blocks come in seven different shapes and seven different colors, opening up a wide world of 3D building possibilities. Inviting to both boys and girls, the blocks help learners to think in 3D and develop spatial awareness skills.
- Build robots with sensors and actuators to make them come alive: Coming complete with over 300 building blocks and accessories plus a plethora of sensors, motors, and LEDs, KOOV opens the doors to almost endless robotic possibilities.
- Drag and drop visual programing: Using code to make robots come alive is simple, with a graphic interface that’s intuitive for both beginners and experienced coders.
- Learning Courses for all skill levels: Over 50 hours of content to get students excited about coding, design and STEAM with a wealth of interactive, educational content progressing from basic components to programming logic, structure and processes.
- Explore infinite options with Robot Recipes: Featuring step-by-step instructions, 43 pre-coded designs gives students a great way to build at their own pace and use the skills they learn along the way to create original robots.
- Safely share creations, view robots made by others and download code to remix: By tapping into the worldwide community of KOOV users, students can share creations, code and ideas — all within a secure space that’s well-supervised, student-friendly and incredibly collaborative.
- Compatible on multiple platforms: Available for Mac OS, Windows, Chromebook and iOS (iPad only)2, the KOOV app is included with every KOOV kit1.
- Ideal for students ages 8 and up: From first-timers to seasoned junior creators, just about anyone can jump right into KOOV. Even advanced coders can challenge themselves by designing, building and coding their own creations.
- A turnkey STEAM education solution for educators: Offering curriculum-aligned lesson plans, step-by-step teacher guides, student progress reports and classroom management features, KOOV can be quickly implemented in any classroom to support the STEAM educational approach.
- One kit accommodates up to five students: KOOV is flexible enough for students to use for independent study or in a structured setting led by an educator. One KOOV Educator Kit can accommodate up to five students.
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Edtech in the Classroom Homepage – www.EdtechInTheClassroom.com
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
About our Guest
Naasira Wahid is part of the new business division with Sony Electronics. In this role she works with new and innovative products from the Sony R&D Team as well as with the Sony Global Education Division on KOOV, Sony’s new coding, robotics and design kit aimed at educators. Naasira has a background in both operations and supply chain with 10+ years developing strategies relating to new product launches. In her work on KOOV, Naasira spearheaded the creation of the KOOV Pilot Program which seeks to engage the education community directly to gain a better understanding of their needs and how best to support efforts and curriculum needs in STEM education. The KOOV pilot program allows educators, schools and students who may have little or no exposure, to obtain hands on experience with coding, robotics and design allowing them to make better choices in their consideration of purchasing the KOOV Educator Kit.
Born and raised in San Diego, CA to Mexican immigrants. Attended the Preuss School UCSD from 6th-12th grade. First generation in family to attend and graduate from college. Received B.A in Psychology from Pitzer College in Claremont, CA. Fulbright Program Award grantee to teach English in Malaysia. Been working for BLCI since May 2017, initially at Chula Vista program site. Moved to Barrio Logan site in September 2018.
At Sony, our mission is to be a company that inspires and fulfills your curiosity. Our unlimited passion for technology, content and services, and relentless pursuit of innovation, drives us to deliver ground-breaking new excitement and entertainment in ways that only Sony can. Creating unique new cultures and experiences. Everything we do, is to move you emotionally.
What is Koov?
KOOV is the coding, robotics, and design kit for the innovators of tomorrow. Perfect in the classroom or at home, KOOV is a comprehensive solution for STEAM education with everything needed to start building robots and make them move with code.
Links of Interest
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at [8:00] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv