Using Video Conferencing in the Classroom: Featuring Stacey Roshan
In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we welcome Stacey Roshan on the program to talk about the power of Video in the classroom. Stacey is a veteran teacher who for the last 7 years has been flipping her classroom through interactive and engaging videos.
One of Stacey’s favorite platforms for video is Zoom, a video conferencing application that allows for crystal clear video communication. What I learned in this episode is that Zoom has a fantastic Education platform that can be widely used in K12 schools on every
In this episode, you will learn:
- Bringing Video lessons into the curriculumFlipping the Classroom through videoCreating an environment where the teacher can be with the students and be apart of the learning process and having 1:1 time with students
- How to offload your lesson to video
- Recorded Video vs Live VideoTips for Pre-recorded videosTime: Some videos are better longer, some are better shorter depending on the type of class or assignment.EdPuzzle is a great tool for creating assessments for the videos
- Format: Screencasts are great, but it’s important for the videos to be setup so that students are active while watching the video.
- Where to publish: YouTube / PowerSchool / EdPuzzle
- Do classrooms today have a need for connecting with other classrooms?
- Practical uses for video conferencing in the classroom
- A Survey of Popular Video ApplicationsRecorded VideoScreencastCamtasia
- Video EditorsiMovie
- Final Cut
- Windows Movie Maker
- Live VideoZoomWhy Zoom?
- Advantages over other platforms
- Creating a Curriculum around Video ConferencingAP CalculusCreating Interactive Lessons
- Creating Lesson PlansRecording VideoEquipmentiPad
- Snowball Microphone
- USB Extension Cord
- Sharing Video / Saving Video
- Publishing Video
- Student Feedback about interactive curriculum
- Recommendations for teachers interested in bringing video into the classroom
About our Guest
Stacey Roshan is Upper School Technology Coordinator and Math teacher at Bullis School. She has a keen interest in discovering and bringing innovative tools into the classroom to engage students and personalize instruction. She has spent a lot of time working to flip the mathematics classroom in an effort to shift the culture to a more participatory learning space, focused on relationships and individual student’s needs. Her work on the flipped classroom has been featured in major newspapers such as USA Today, CNN, and The Washington Post and television on PBS Newshour. Stacey aims to empower teachers with ideas and tech tools to enrich and enliven the classroom by engaging learners.
Links of Interest
- Website: http://techiemusings.com/
- Twitter @buddyxo
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Zoom Education
- Teaching an Online Class: Using #EdTech to Bring Students Together: Using Slack, Zoom with a Wacom tablet, and Pear Deck
- My Essential Tools to Create Flipped Classroom Videos
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at [8:00] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv
Need a Presenter?
Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!