In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, Jeff sits down with Sharifa Extavour and Ingrid Renderos to discuss how K12 teachers can help get our college and career ready seniors prepared for their post-graduation activities.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How should we be preparing K12 students for their post-graduation careers?
- Options for Students after they graduate
- What skills should be taught? / What skills aren’t being taught?
- Should there be more of a connection between K-12 and Higher Level teachers?
- What makes the KIPP Program so important for both students and parents?
- How can we take advantage of our College & Career Counselors?
- What role should parents have in preparing students for post-graduation careers?
About Our Guests
- Sharifa Extavour, College and Career Support Manager, KIPP Through College
- Ingrid Renderos, MPA, Director of Academic Partnerships, Office of the Chancellor, Rutgers University-Newark
As a College and Career Support manager, Sharifa works with College Persistence Team to improve college persistence outcomes for advisees. She coaches a caseload of KIPP Alumni to meet their academic, financial and career goals through intrusive advising practices. In addition, Sharifa manages the Strong Transition Plan as students prepare to leave the KIPPNJ region’s high school- Newark Collegiate Academy. As a leader in her region, she also works with key stakeholders at the high-school to ensure a smooth transition to college/career programs and in doing so, working to support the goal of decreasing ‘summer melt’.
Prior to KIPP, Sharifa served in various Enrollment Management roles within Higher education including Operations, managing recruitment efforts, admissions counselors, and working with key stakeholders to support University-wide recruitment efforts and events. Sharifa also managed recruitment efforts for Educational Opportunity Fund Program (EOF) which provided access to college to students from ‘academically and financially disadvantaged’ communities throughout New Jersey. She earned her BA in Sociology, Masters in Public Administration (MPA) and M.A in Student Services.
Sharifa enjoys trying different kinds of food, traveling, a good book on Audible, spending time with her family including her dog, Charley.
Ingrid Renderos, MPA
Ingrid Renderos currently is the Director of Academic Partnerships for Rutgers University-Newark’s Office of the Chancellor. In her position, she manages academic partnerships with various educational institutions, to ensure that partner students receive the support services needed to successfully graduate from Rutgers University-Newark. She is also charged with communicating to her academic partners the various campus-wide initiatives, especially targeting Transfer and First Generation college students. Since Rutgers University-Newark is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), she also collaborates with Latin American General Consulates, as well as community-based organizations that are serving the Latino community in Newark and Greater Newark.
She has more than 25 years of experience working in the public sector. Of those, more than 20 years have been spent working for Rutgers University, Columbia University and other higher education institutions running MBA programs, as well as state-wide Management and Leadership programs for Adult Learners. She has a special interest in access to education regardless of socio-economic background, the role of inclusiveness in the New Jersey educational school system, as well as economic development.
She has a Master of Public Administration from New York University’s Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service with a specialization in International Administration, and a Bachelor of Science from New York University’s Leonard N. Stern School of Business with a double major in Marketing and International Business and a minor in Spanish. She has lived, worked and/or studied in Mexico, Nicaragua, Ecuador, and Spain.
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Visit us at www.Kippnj.org
- Learn more about KTC College Persistence EffortsFollow us on Instragram @ktcpersistence
- Follow us on Instagram @KIPPNJ
- Visit the Rutgers University-Newark Campus:https://www.rutgers.edu/admissions
- The Honors Living Learning Communities Initiative welcomes you to visit their website to learn more about the HLLC and apply as a freshman or transfer student: https://hllc.newark.rutgers.edu/
- Learn how RU-N, through the NCLC, is committed to Newark residents graduating from college. https://nclc2025.org/about-nclc/
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at [8:00] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv