If you are a new listener to TeacherCast, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Page and let us know how we can help you today!
About our Guest: Tom Sherrington
Tom Sherrington is an education consultant and author. He writes the popular blog teacherhead.com and his books include The Learning Rainforest and best-seller Rosenshine’s Principles in Action. Mostly recently he co-authored Teaching WalkThrus with Oliver Caviglioli. With 30 years' experience as a physics and maths teacher and school leader, including 11 years as a Headteacher, Tom is in demand from schools across the UK and around the world to deliver CPD for teachers and leadership teams. He works with several schools and colleges providing consultancy support on curriculum and improving the quality of teaching. He is a regular keynote speaker and contributor to conferences and education festivals.
Teaching WalkThrus: Visual Step-by-Step Guides to Teaching Techniques.
The key topics are:
- Behavior and Relationships – Establish the classroom conditions necessary for effective learning
- Curriculum Planning – Create a coherent, well-sequenced, knowledge-rich curriculum
- Explaining and Modelling – Make sense of complex ideas to support students in building secure schema
- Questioning and Feedback – Use responsive teaching methods to check students' understanding and move them forward
- Practice and Retrieval – Build secure long-term memory and fluency
- Mode B Teaching – Deliver a range of learning experiences to deepen and extend learning
Tom Sherrington and Oliver Caviglioli team up to present 50 essential teaching techniques, each with five clear and concise illustrations and explanations. It forms a truly unique repository of key teaching methods, valuable to any classroom practitioner in any setting.
The book covers important practical techniques in behavior and relationships; curriculum planning; explaining and modelling; questioning and feedback; practice and retrieval; and Mode B teaching.
Each technique is simply explained and beautifully illustrated in five short steps, to make sense of complex ideas and support student learning.
About John Catt Educational:
John Catt Educational amplifies world-class voices on timeless topics, with a list of authors recognized globally for their fresh perspectives and proven strategies to drive success in modern schools and classrooms. John Catt’s mission is to support high-quality teaching and learning by ensuring every educator has access to professional development materials that are research-based, practical, and focused on the key topics proven essential in today’s and tomorrow’s schools. Learn more about professional development publications that are easy to implement for your entire faculty, and are both quickly digestible and rigorous, by visiting https://us.johncattbookshop.com/.
Links of Interest
- Teaching WalkThrus: Visual Step-by-Step Guides to Teaching Techniques (2020, John Catt Educational)
- Rosenshine's Principles in Action (2019, John Catt Educational)
Follow our Podcast and Subscribe
Follow our Host
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on Apple Podcasts today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
- EdTech in the Classroom (http://www.edtechintheclassroom.com)