Dive into UDL (Universal Design for Learning)
In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, Jeff welcomes ISTE Authors Luis Perez and Kendra Grant to discuss the importance of bringing in UDL, or Universal Design for Learning into your classrooms and coaching conversations.
If you are a new listener to TeacherCast, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Page and let us know how we can help you today!
Dive into URL
Order Your Copy on Amazon Today!
In this new edition of the popular book Dive Into UDL, learn how Universal Design for Learning (UDL) supports the creation of learning environments that ensure all learners feel valued, respected and understood.
UDL is a framework for designing instruction that meets the needs of every learner. This book is meant to support your professional learning, giving you options and choice in how you build your knowledge. You can wade in, take a shallow swim or dive into UDL as you develop your instructional practice and create a more inclusive learning environment that plans for variability, celebrates diversity and offers flexibility in how students learn and grow. In the process, you’ll learn how to foster high achievement for all students, including those with disabilities or limited English proficiency.
In this updated edition, readers will learn how to incorporate accessible learning materials and technologies into their instructional design to ensure choice for learners and help them develop into independent, motivated expert learners.
- Explores how UDL is key to creating an inclusive learning environment that is equitable, culturally relevant, safe and welcoming.
- Expands the learning to include virtual classrooms, and emphasizes how UDL is key to ensuring rich, engaging and purposeful online learning.
- Examines the application of UDL principles to multiple grade levels and subject areas in both in-person and online environments.
- Dives deeper into the authors’ UDL Planning Guide guide at a variety of UDL levels of understanding (Wade in, Shallow Swim, Deep Dive).
- Features ideas and examples (on the companion website) from educators around the world to illustrate multiple means of engagement, representation, and action and expression.
Along the way, the authors draw connections to the ISTE Standards (Educators and Students sections), helping teachers strategically use technology to not only support the three principles of UDL but support the development of independent, self-regulatory empowered learners.
Follow Our Podcast And Subscribe
Follow Our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- TeacherCast | @TeacherCast
In this Episode, we Discuss:
- What is the UDL framework?
- How do you build accessibility in UDL?
- How do you design for UDL?
- Understanding the layers of UDL
- What is the goal of UDL?
About our Guests:
Kendra Grant (@KendraFGrant) has held many roles in education, including teacher, district special education coordinator and assistive technology (AT) specialist for a large school district. She was also the owner of a professional learning company delivering large-scale technology implementation across North America. Grant recently moved into corporate training, with the goal of creating a more inclusive workplace built upon Universal Design for Learning. Grant holds a master’s of educational technology (MET) from the University of British Columbia and is a Certified Training and Development Professional (CTDP).
Links of Interest
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/KendraFGrant
Luis Pérez (@eyeonaxs) is a technical assistance specialist at CAST. He holds a doctorate in special education and a master’s degree in instructional technology from the University of South Florida. He was selected as an Apple Distinguished Educator (ADE) in 2009, and as a Google in Education Certified Educator in 2014. More recently, Pérez was recognized with an ISTE Making It Happen award. He is past president of ISTE’s Inclusive Learning Network, which named him its 2016 Outstanding Inclusive Educator. In addition to Dive Into UDL (ISTE), Pérez is also the author of Learning on the Go (CAST Publishing).
Links of Interest
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/eyeonaxs
Join Our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on Apple Podcasts today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
- EdTech in the Classroom (http://www.edtechintheclassroom.com)
Need A Presenter?
- Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!