Computer Science for All Students
In this episode of the TechEducator Podcast, we take a look at Computer Science in a slightly different way. Together with authors Sam Patterson and Doug Bergman, we discuss ways for every school district to create a seamless K12 curriculum that infuses aspects of Computer Science in all grade levels.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why should students be learning about Computer Science?
- Creating a Computer Science Curriculum K12
- How should we budget for a Computer Science Curriculum?
- Where can teachers find resources for Computer Science?
- No longer an elective subject
- Needs to be CORE
- CS is here, not going anywhere, it is not a trend
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- The TechEducator Podcast | @TechEdShow
- Visit the TechEducator Podcast | www.TechEducatorPodcast.com
Follow our Hosts
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
- Dr. Sam Patterson | @SamPatue
- Jennifer Judkins | @TeachingForward
- Josh Gauthier | @MrGFactoftheDay
- Rob Pennington | @RobPennington9
- Jennifer Giffen | @VirtualGiff
- Nicholas Amaral | @Namaraledu
About our Guests
Doug Bergman is Head of Computer Science at Porter-Gaud independent school in Charleston, SC. He has been the head of the CS department for 17+ years and been in CS education for 23+ years. For several years, he worked in industry as a programmer as well as in I.T. While attending and teaching school in the US, Japan, and France, he has traveled extensively across the globe. He is a product of public education K-16 and holds a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems, M.A. in Education Administration, and is completing his Online Masters in Computer Science at Georgia Tech. He has taught in public schools, private schools, and professional schools and has worked with students from ages 5 – 99. His largest class was 300 students (I found out it was 300, not 30, in the hallway on the way to class. That was fun.) He has experience developing his own curriculum as well as using existing curriculum developed by others. In addition to being honored with regional, state, national and international recognition, he has presented at conferences worldwide. In 2017, he was selected as a finalist for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. Currently, he serves on of the board of CSTA.
- Imagining Computer Science Education K-12
Richard W. Allen, Ed.S. – Rich is a retired Principal with 35 years of experience as a teacher, advisor, coach, supervisor, assistant principal, and principal in the public school district. He has received many awards over the years, including Governor’s Teacher of the Year, and the Model Schools recognition by the International Center for Leadership in Education (ICLE). He is an adjunct professor at Monmouth University and Brookdale Community College. He is on the Principals’ steering committee at Monmouth University and the steering committee for ECET2NJPA. Rich presented with the NJPSA Leadership Academy and works with schools as a consultant. He was a member of the ELC and the OTSC with the State Department of Education. He earned his graduate certifications and degrees from Georgian Court University, Liberty University and Rutgers, The State University of NJ.
Rich is the co-Founder and Executive Director of DisruptED TV.
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Free Online Courses from Raspberry Pi, including how to move from Scratch to Python! https://www.raspberrypi.org/training/online/
- Free curriculum from Code.org for all grade levels: https://studio.code.org/courses?view=teacher
- Project Based CS disrupts the status quo. The energy in that classroom from students who want to work on their projects sets the tone for engaging education
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Wednesday at [8:30] PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv
Need a Presenter?
Jeff Bradbury (@TeacherCast) is available as a Keynote Speaker, Presenter, or to Broadcast your conference LIVE!