In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we welcome Mike Soules, the President of Corwin and Dr. Julie Smith, Corwin's Senior Director for Visible Learning on the show to discuss Visible Learning Plus, a brand new professional development platform developed based on the research of Professor John Hattie.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Corwin 2018 News and Updates
- What is Global Visible Learning?
- How does Visible Learning plus fit into Corwin's family of programs and services?
- How is the Visible Learning plus model implemented in schools?
- What are the key takeaways from Prof. John Hattie’s research that can guide future teacher professional development?
- How does Prof. Hattie’s research and Corwin’s practices differ from other professional development approaches?
- What do you see as the most promising aspect of this partnership?
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Corwin, a SAGE company, is the premier provider of professional learning products and services that equip educators to improve teaching and learning. Corwin offers print books and ebooks, digital professional development products, institutes, and on-site consulting services for all types of educators at all stages of their careers. Corwin resources are authored by experts on the topics most relevant to you; formatted for hands-on, practical guidance; research-based and peer reviewed for quality; and suitable for professional learning settings and courses in education. Whether you are an administrator leading school reform or a teacher looking for solutions to daily challenges, we are committed to helping you reach your full potential so you can help children reach theirs.
About our Guests
Mike Soules is President of Corwin, the leading provider of innovative professional services and publications for P-20 educators. Corwin is committed to collaborating with schools, districts and departments/ministries of education to deliver training and tools that build capacity, are evidence-based and have a positive change on instructional practice. Through long-term partnerships with authors, policymakers and associations Corwin sits at the nexus of research to practice and practice to research. Mike is most proud of the talented and dedicated all-star team that help bring Corwin’s work to life every day.
Mike has held senior leadership roles at the Channel One Network, Laureate, and Teachscape. The through line of his career has been pioneering unique platforms to provide meaningful and impactful content that educators need and want.
He serves as Regent of California Lutheran University, President of the Conejo Schools Foundation, and former Chair of the Ventura County Workforce Development Board. Mike has a B.A. in Political Science and a B.A. in History from the University of California, Los Angeles – Go Bruins!
Dr. Julie Smith
Dr. Julie Smith is the Senior Director of Visible Learning for Corwin/Sage. Her passion and expertise is in implementing system-wide change for districts and school-based leaders and teachers focused on Professor John Hattie’s Visible Learning research. Over her thirty-six years in education, she has served as a teacher, principal, and executive director of elementary schools. Additionally, she has taught at the university level in principal preparation programs in both Colorado and Florida. Julie continues to pursue her passion in leadership development by coauthoring three books, one on principal evaluation entitled The Reflective Leader: Implementing a multidimensional leadership performance assessment (2012) the other entitled Evaluating Instructional Leadership: Recognized Practices for Success (2015) and her most recent book is entitled Impact Coaching: Scaling Instructional leadership (2018).
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- What is the State of Professional Learning (Featuring Corwin)
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00 PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv
Need a Presenter?