In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we discuss the love of reading with Kindergarten teacher Elizabeth Faulkner and learn how she works with students of all ability levels to match individual Lexile levels with the right book through the help of MetaMetrics.
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Who is MetaMetrics
MetaMetrics is focused on improving education for learners of all ages and ability levels. The organization develops scientific measures of academic achievement and complementary technologies that link assessment results with real-world instruction. MetaMetrics' products and services for reading (The Lexile® Framework for Reading, El Sistema Lexile® para Leer), mathematics (The Quantile® Framework for Mathematics) and writing (The Lexile® Framework for Writing) provide unique insights about academic ability and the potential for growth, enabling individuals to achieve their goals at every stage of development. Connect with the organization at metametricsinc.com/blog.
About our Guests
Elizabeth Faulkner is a Kindergarten teacher at Woods Charter School in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Growing a teaching family, teaching is in her DNA. Liz received degrees in history and elementary education from Hillsdale College. She also earned her reading endorsement in K-12 instruction the University of Cincinnati. This is Liz's sixth year teaching her well-loved Kindergarteners. She also coaches the Elementary NCSO team, North Carolina Science Olympiad, for the 3rd-6th graders.
Jeff Elmore is a Senior Research Engineer at MetaMetrics. He studied applied math and computer science at NC State University. His research interests include text complexity, early literacy, vocabulary development, computational linguistics, psychometrics, network theory, and artificial intelligence. Jeff regularly presents at academic conferences and has recent publications in the Journal of Educational Psychology and Reading Research Quarterly. He is passionate about applying the latest computational techniques to important issues in education research.
Malbert Smith III, Ph.D., is the CEO, President, and Co-Founder of MetaMetrics, an educational research and measurement organization. He, along with Jack Stenner, Ph.D., created two measurement systems (The Lexile® Framework for Reading and The Quantile® Framework for Mathematics) that are ubiquitous in educational practice, reform, and policy throughout the world. Recognized nationally and internationally as one of the major thought leaders in educational innovation and reform, Malbert serves as an advisor to a number of educational publishers, is on the board of several educational non-profits, and is a keynote speaker for numerous educational conferences.
Links of Interest
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LexileFramework/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetaMetrics_Inc
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/metametrics
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/64469/
- Web Site: http://www.lexile.com
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (https://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- TeacherCast App Spotlight (https://www.teachercast.net/appspotlight)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00 PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv
Need a Presenter?
Recorded November 21, 2017