Have you ever wondered how to start a successful podcast? In this episode of Educational Podcasting Today, we welcome Stephen Jondrew and Stargate Pioneer a.k.a. SP from the GonnaGeek Podcasting Network on the show to talk all things Podcasting and all things Geek!
If you are a new listener to TeacherCast, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Page and let us know how we can help you today!
How to Start a Successful Podcast
- How do you describe the term podcasting to those who don’t know what a podcast is? (RSS)
- What should we be thinking about when planning a new podcast?
- Topic / Content
- Podcast Editor
- Final Cut
- Movie Studio Platinum
- Audio or Video
- Start with Audio
- much easier
- less resources needed
- faster to export
- Use Hardware Audio Recorders
- Start with Audio
- Streamed live or recorded
- Building an audience
- Don’t stress over your numbers
- IAB compliant stats
- Keep your goals in front of you … not your downloads
- Grow your community …. Ask for feedback
- Finding the right podcasting topic
- How do you survive podcasting with a cohost?
- You fire them
- Pop Culture
- Star Wars
Download our Editorial Calendar Today!
Join the TeacherCast Insiders Program to receive your free gift.
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Educational Podcasting Today Podcast | @PodcastingToday
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
About our Guests
I’m a new media creator with a history of creating podcast, video and website content. I currently produce two video shows (The Official GonnaGeek.com Show and Better Podcasting) and run GonnaGeek.com, which features geek content including its own Podcast Network.
Stargate Pioneer, or “SP” as he likes to be called, is a Science Fiction and Space aficionado, comic book universe fan, amateur drone pilot-adventurer, and hobby podcast mentor and advocate. Inspired by early television scifi and NASA missions SP strove from his early teens to work in the space industry and ultimately earned an advanced degree in Astronautical Engineering. Having achieved career success in Aerospace for decades SP became enamored with early podcasting after receiving an original iPod Nano as a gift. SP enjoyed the commercial free niche content that you could not find anywhere else at the time including Satellite Radio. SP finally caught the podcasting bug on New Years Eve of 2010 and hasn’t looked back since having created three podcasts, taken over producing two additional shows, and cohosting another. He applied his professional training to the craft, absolutely enjoyed everything about podcasting, and put himself to task to learn as much as he could about podcasting from the production side to hosting to hardware to content creation. Five years into podcasting SP noted a gap in the podcasting space for the next generation of new hobby podcasters and with his cohort Stephen Jondrew decided to start Better Podcasting to help all hobby podcasters learn more about the pod-space and how it related to them as well as teach them to be better podcasters. Now two years into the Better Podcasting venture SP looks forward to Better Podcasting each week where live viewers and time delayed listeners interact to form a community around the show thirsty for knowledge about how to hone the art of podcasting themselves and to share their podcasting lessons with the Better Podcasting audience along the way. SP currently hosts and produces the weekly Legends OF S.H.I.E.L.D. and Starling Tribune podcasts as well as cohosts the GonnaGeek.com Show and cohosts and coproduces Better Podcasting with Stephen. In his non-podcasting free time SP enjoys drone flying, working out, fixing cars, spending time with family and relishing time at the lake. He looks forward to continuing podcasting and any new opportunity surrounding podcasting. Future adventures may include off-grid or environmental friendly living and sailboat cruising in tropical paradises.
Join the Conversation
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This weeks question is:
What advice do YOU have for first time podcasters?
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Learn how to create your own Podcasts with these great resources from TeacherCast
- Join our brand new Facebook Page!
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Wednesday at 8:30 PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv