In this episode of the Microsoft Innovative Expert: Spotlight Series Podcast, we invite Josh Sawyer, Senior Manager for US Education for Microsoft and educators Scott Bricker and Alyson Dame on the program to discuss the Microsoft Showcase Schools Program.
In this episode, you will learn:
- What are Microsoft Showcase Schools?
- US Showcase Schools & US Microsoft Schools
- How does a school apply to become a Showcase School?
- How many Showcase Schools?
- The benefits of being a Showcase School
- What does MSFT look for in a Nomination
- Showcase School Leadership Teams
- Aligning the Showcase School Program with the MIE Community
- Microsoft @ ISTE Conference
Follow our Podcast
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIEAudio
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIEVideo
- Show Notes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/MIESpotlight
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Microsoft Showcase Schools
Microsoft offers two whole school programs, one for schools getting started with digital transformation and one for schools with a mature whole-school end-to-end approach to transformation with already demonstrated outcomes. Each program focuses on the school leadership team responsible for driving change.
About our Guests
Josh Sawyer – Senior Manager of US Education
Josh is a globally recognized industry leader and subject matter expert known for Education transformation and inspiring cultures of innovation at scale. Rooted in his personal philosophy ‘seeking to live with grit and innovation; dream boldly, think deeply, and execute swiftly!'; Josh currently leads Microsoft's US Educator and School Leader Transformation strategy focusing on Professional Learning and the Microsoft Schools Program.
Prior to joining Microsoft, Josh led a pivotal innovation team driving instructional technology across one of the largest school districts in the US, as well as served as a global Educational consultant, master trainer, speaker, and content developer for various programs and affiliates worldwide.
A passionate leader, committed to maintaining focus on his pursuit of lifelong learning, Scott Bricker has found tremendous joy and success during his nearly 20-year career as a teacher, basketball coach, instructional coach and many other roles around a high school campus. Built on the solid premise of creating human connection through “Building Your Relationship Infrastructure,” his deeply-rooted belief in the power and potential of working together as a team drives him to create a cohesive working environment for his Math students, for faculty during PD & Training sessions and in collaborating with great educators and people from around the globe.
Inspired by the humor, creativity and drive of two of his high school teachers, Scott dove head first into Education following his time at the University of Arizona and never looked back. He has taught both English and Math and absolutely thrives off the energy of being around high school students and teachers, working to inspire them think outside the box in all they think, say and do.
In the spring of 2013, Scott was named Director of Educational Technology at Santa Margarita Catholic High School and asked to lead the full implementation of the school’s One-to-One Tablet PC Program. After distributing devices to only the faculty during the 13-14 school year, SMCHS distributed devices to all 1725 students during the summer of 2014 and, following the success of their rollout and implementation of Office365, OneNote and other Microsoft tools, SMCHS was named a Microsoft Showcase School in the fall of 2014 and proudly maintains their status currently. Scott is also a Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert and is consistently inspired by the many educators he meets through that group.
Given the current landscape of Educational Technology, Scott is a firm believer that those who take on the challenge of injecting appropriate technology into their classroom will look back on this time as one that truly redefined learning and teaching in an incredibly impactful way.
Alyson Dame is an Assistant Principal at Abraham Lincoln High School, a Microsoft Showcase School in Brooklyn, NY. As AP of Instructional Technology, Alyson is passionate about helping teachers create more accessible content for all students and promoting engaging, problem-based learning that fosters ingenuity.
Follow Alyson on Twitter @alysondame.
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- TeacherCast App Spotlight (http://www.teachercast.net/appspotlight)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00 PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv
Need a Presenter?
Join the TeacherCast Insiders Program
Get our latest content and be the first to learn about our live broadcasts, online courses and other exciting content.