What is the value of educational technology in the classroom? Should EdTech companies be spending more time in our classrooms learning how we teach? Or … should they be coming up with new and innovative programs and gadgets for us to be teaching … with?
In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we take a look at the ISTE Conference. Joining me on the program are three educators with unique perspectives on not just today's educational landscape, but on how edtech should be used in today's classrooms.
We you at the ISTE Conference this year? We would love to hear your thoughts on today's podcast or on how you found this years conference. Please leave us a comment below.
In today's episode we discuss:
- What excited you about ISTE this year?
- New to ISTE 2018
- Standout Presentations / Sessions
- How do you spend the majority of your time at ISTE?
- What trends did you notice on the show floor or in presentations?
- Are school district and educator needs being met by today’s edtech marketplace?
- What can edtech companies do differently to make sure they are meeting the needs of students?
- What do you hope to see at ISTE next year?
- Advice for anyone thinking about going to ISTE or another mega-conference in the future?
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
About our Guests
Currently middle school English teacher at Rye Middle School in Rye, New York, and an adjunct professor in the Literacy Department at Manhattanville College, Dr. Haiken has been teaching for the past twenty years. She is the author of Personalized Reading: Digital Tools and Strategies to Support All Learners (ISTE, 2018) and editor of the book Gamify Literacy (ISTE: March 2017). Dr. Haiken is the author of the blog The Teaching Factor and has presented at numerous conferences including the National Council of Teachers of English, ISTE, and many others on topics relating to literacy, technology, and global collaboration.
Dr. Amanda Cadran
Director of Implementation, Lea(R)n
Amanda Cadran leads the implementation team for Lea(R)n, the creators of LearnPlatform. She uses her 10+ years of classroom teaching, curriculum development and technology director experience to empower educational organizations of all shapes and sizes to organize, streamline and analyze their edtech. Amanda earned her BA and MA from Lehigh University and her PhD from North Carolina State University in curriculum and instruction with a focus on instructional technology. In her work, she most enjoys finding the intersection between research, educational policy and classroom practice. Amanda has worked as a research fellow and consultant with the International Association of K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and has experience deploying school, district and state-level edtech-focused initiatives.
Dr. Sonny Magana, Founder Magana Education
Marzano Research Associate Milken Educator
Dr. Anthony J. “Sonny” Magana is an award-winning educator, speaker, pioneering educational technology researcher, and best-selling author. Sonny has been researching the relationship between technology and learning since 1983 and has committed his life to disrupting the epidemic of low-impact technology use in schools. Sonny began his career in education as an AP Biology teacher in New Jersey, then served as a technology integration specialist, Principal, and adjunct faculty at the University of Washington. In 1997 Sonny created the first CyberSchool in the state of Washington, for which he was awarded the prestigious Milken Family Foundation National Educator Award. Sonny earned a BS from Stockton University, a MEd from City University, and an EdD in Educational Leadership from Seattle University. A best-selling author, Sonny’s recent book, “Disruptive Classroom Technologies: A Framework for Innovation in Education,” in which he introduces his T3 Framework for Innovation–a model which has been hailed by educational leaders Dr. John Hattie, Dr. Robert Marzano, Dr. Michael Fullan, Dr. Yong Zhao (and many others) as the way that technology will make the difference we’ve all been after.
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00 PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv