In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we speak with authors Matthew R Kay and Shawna Coppola about race relations in today's classrooms and how school districts, teachers, and students can sit down and have positive and constructive conversations on the topic.
- How to recognize the difference between meaningful and inconsequential race conversations.
- How to build conversational “safe spaces,” not merely declare them.
- How to infuse race conversations with urgency and purpose.
- How to thrive in the face of unexpected challenges.
- How administrators might equip teachers to thoughtfully engage in these conversations.
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
About our Guest
has taught in public schools for over sixteen years. She currently works as a K-6 literacy specialist in Rollinsford, New Hampshire, and teaches courses and seminars through the New Hampshire Literacy Institutes as well as the University of New Hampshire’s Professional Development & Training program. She is a firm believer in the power and wisdom of children of all ages and is grateful for the lessons they teach her on a daily basis.
Matthew R. Kay is a proud product of Philadelphia’s public schools and a founding teacher at Science Leadership Academy (SLA). He is a graduate of West Chester University and holds a Masters in Educational Leadership with a Principals’ Certificate from California University of Pennsylvania. He deeply believes in the importance of earnest and mindful classroom conversations about race. Furthermore, he believes that any teacher who is willing to put in the hard work of reflection can, through the practice of discrete skills, become a better discussion leader. Driven by these convictions, he is passionate about designing professional development that teachers find valuable.
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00 PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv