In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, we welcome author, director, and producer Doug Keith on the program to talk about how we can teach our students the art of writing long form not just in a single storyline, but across multiple projects.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why is it important to become a Director if you want to see your original content produced?
- The importance of being a content creator
- Is it important to be a performer first before being a director?
- Directing your own material vs Directing someone else's material
- How to create materials (blogs, podcasts, screenplays) that attract and keep audience attention.
- Book: Writing Screenplays that Sell
- How to create a voice for yourself
- Creative Writing Applications
- The importance of knowing your audience before you create content
- Additional Resources
- Save the Cat – Blake Snyder
- Write Screenplays that Sell the Ackerman Way- William Ackerman
- Story – Robert McKee
- Screenwriting software: Final Draft, Movie Magic
- Publications: Script, Creative Screenwriting
- The secret to every writer's success
About our Guest
Doug Keith has been writing, directing and producing films, sketches, music videos, radio series and books since he was in his teens. Among his credits is the award-winning documentary film, “Embraceable You,” about the culturally diverse but accepting town of New Hope, PA, and an anti-underage drinking public service announcement, created for the United Way of Bucks County, that ran in area movie theaters. He has made his career in the market research industry for almost than 25 years, testing programs and concepts for broadcast and cable TV networks.
After completing a degree in journalism at the University of South Carolina, Doug worked as an on-air host, writer and producer in public radio. He went on to complete an MA in Communications at Temple University. Since 1998, he has focused his free time on various aspects of filmmaking, including writing, directing and producing films and music videos.
Doug was born and raised in Furlong, PA, just outside Philadelphia. He currently resides in nearby Buckingham, Bucks County, PA.
Links of Interest
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/doug-keith-4140052/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/doug.keith.969?ref=bookmarks
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
View LIVE Professional Development from TeacherCast
- Join us LIVE every Tuesday at 8:00 PM EST: http://www.TeacherCast.tv