In this episode of the TeacherCast Podcast, Jeff welcomes the Global Director of Education from Cisco, Renee Patton on the program to discuss the topic of Teachers being Entrepreneurs.
If you are interested in starting a side business to support your teaching, or if you have ever had a student come to you and say “I have an idea … now, what?” this is a fantastic episode that features tips, tricks, and amazing stories of what is happening in today's classrooms.
Today's podcast is brought to you by the Educational Podcast Directory. The Educational Podcast Directory is now home to over 130 educational podcasts created by teachers … for teachers. Check out the Educational Podcast Directory today and find a new podcast for your next drive to school!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Teachers as Problem Solvers
- Teachers as Entrepreneurs
- How do you creatively engage your learners?
- Helping students with their ideas to help them learn how to solve challenges
- Where to start your entrepreneurial journey?
- Make a list of 10 things you are good at doing
- Top 10 things you love to do
- Where is there a need for these skills & abilities
- Top 10 things you would NEVER want to do
- Book: How do you start a consulting company?
- Create a business plan
- What are my core values
- Where do you I think my skills can fit in
- What problems need to be solved?
- How can I help to solve the problems
- What is my target audience
- How am I going to market myself
- Create a business plan
- How can parents support students with their goals and dreams
- Cisco for Education
- Cisco Networking Academy Program
- Global Problem Solvers Series
- And how teachers can use technology to create the next generation of creative, innovative thinkers
About Renee Patton
Renee Patton, Global Director, Education Industry, Cisco
Renee Patton is the leader of the Global Education Industry at Cisco. She and her team help schools, colleges, and universities envision the future of learning and start planning and executing on their vision today. With over 20 years of business, management, sales, and marketing experiences in both small start-ups and large corporations, Renee has managed through adversity and diversity to help customers realize technology solutions that drive business outcomes. Including a Master’s Degree in Education from Stanford, Renee has spent 22 years in education, giving her a clear perspective to address business issues and changing landscapes. Always a curious learner herself, it was after earning her undergraduate degree that she became a high school English and French teacher. She coached cross-country and moderated the student yearbook and newspaper, becoming deeply ingrained in the school culture. She then spent four years on the district side managing policy and a $20M budget for Los Gatos-Saratoga JUHS Board of Trustees, learning firsthand how a district runs and understanding regional challenges. Prior to joining Cisco full time, she ran her own marketing consulting firm for seven years, working with agility to develop strategy and customize marketing programs and projects to meet client needs.
After seven years at Siemens serving as the key global marketing interface with Munich and managing national sales programs, Renee joined Cisco to lead US Education Field Marketing and manage their national E-rate Program. She then served as Global Industry Vertical Team Manager and Marketing Education Lead within Cisco’s Corporate Marketing Organization where she was responsible for content marketing, positioning, and strategy. In her current role, she helps deliver $2B of education sales per year to Cisco. Later, she developed and executed the education industry strategy for Cisco within the US Public Sector organization and led an international cross-functional team to expand Cisco’s influence across the globe.
Renee is excited about the future of education and the trends driving massive shifts in how always-connected students are learning today. Working with customers, Renee and her team are deploying technology that addresses new educational approaches and supports ways to better engage learners, prepare teachers, secure institutions, and improve efficiency.
Renee is a Lions’ Club Member and involved in her local community. She holds a B.A. degree in English from Santa Clara University and an M.A. in Education from Stanford University.
Over dinner at her home in Los Gatos, CA, you can catch Renee talking about a Ted talk that inspired her, new ways students are learning, Italian cooking, travel, and her family.
Follow our Podcast
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
Follow our Host
- Jeff Bradbury | @JeffBradbury
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- Teachers as Entrepreneurs: Applying EdTech for Better Learning Outcomes
- Teachers as Problem Solvers
- Global Problem Solvers
- Cisco Connected Educators Program
- Why Cisco for Education?
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The TechEducator Podcast (http://www.techeducatorpodcast.com)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)