In this episode of the Jeff Bradbury Show, we welcome Heather Blackwell to discuss how content creators can create and grow their email marketing strategy for their blogs, podcasts, consulting and other content creation projects.
If you are a new listener to TeacherCast, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Page and let us know how we can help you today!
The TeacherCast 90-Day Email Marketing Challenge
At this moment, I'm guessing you might fit into one of these categories:
- You have a great idea that you would like to get noticed by the educational community
- You are looking to build a distinguishable brand for yourself to get noticed by edtech companies, professional learning conferences, or perhaps … employers.
- You are looking to take your current website, blog, podcast, book, and/or social media strategy to the next level
In this challenge, you are going to learn:
- How to find and target your Avatar to grow your email list.
- The importance of having a great looking website and how to build the one that attracts eyes on your brand and grows your email list.
- How to grow a successful Social Media strategy that gets you noticed and grows your email list.
- How to create a branded professional slide deck for your next conference that grows your email list.
- How to fight the war on the inbox and what it means for your unopened emails.
- How to improve your email open rates so that the work you put into your emails gets noticed clicked on.
- and much more …
Join Our Facebook Community!
Are you an educational content creator looking to learn more about how to build your platform and grow your audience? Join our new Facebook Community to learn and share with other like-minded educators all searching for the best ways to Build THEIR EDU Brands.
5 Ways to Keep Your Email Subscribers Engaged
- Have a welcome email, set expectations on how often they will be hearing from you and what type of content they can expect
- Don’t go overboard – the number one reason for unsubscribes is too many emails
- Creating a content calendar in advance, plan!
- A saying to live by: Plan plan plan, but be prepared to pivot
Get to know your subscribers
- Email preferences
- Short surveys, ask for feedback
- See what they are clicking on most
- This is your personal brand, they want to hear from YOU
- Good stories have a way of making people keep on reading.
Make content valuable and mix it up
- Valuable topics – hit on pain points, relevant, timely
- Different types of content – text, audio, video, graphics or a combo
- Offer “clickable” items
- Make it exclusive, make subscribers feel special
Learn from your data
- Tips on analyzing and acting on open and click-through rate data
About Our Guest: Heather Blackwell
Heather Blackwell has more than a decade of digital marketing experience, the majority of those in edTech. She loves creating valuable content for her target audience and digging into data to constantly improve her campaigns. Outside of work, Heather enjoys cooking, playing the piano, and monkeying around with her two young children.
Links of Interest
Follow our Podcast and Subscribe
Follow our Host
Explore these Resources
In this episode, we mentioned the following resources:
- The Difference Between Email Marketing and Email Newsletters
- The Email Newsletter – What is the Difference Between Newsletters and Email Marketing
- The Difference Between Email Marketing and a Newsletter
- What's the Difference Between Email Marketing and a Newsletter?
- E-Mail vs. E-Newsletters: Is There a Difference?
- 19 Examples of Brilliant Email Marketing Campaigns
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on Apple Podcasts today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out More TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- Ask The Tech Coach (http://www.AskTheTechCoach.com)
- EdTech in the Classroom (http://www.edtechintheclassroom.com)